Plant Pigment Chromatography

Discussion in 'Supporting Biology' started by GeorgetheScienceTech, May 25, 2018.

1. Here is a Chromatogram taken over time with the pigments separating over time with my "magic" mobile phase. Enjoy.

PLANT PIGMENTCOLLAGE.png

AllantheTech, Ally and DMS like this.
  2. DMS

DMS

Very nice.

GeorgetheScienceTech likes this.
  3. Yep DMS and Ally @Ally it's the business. I'm not one for blowing my trumpet (usually) but on this occasion I'm going to get as much mileage out of it as I can.:D:D

DMS and Ally like this.
  4. I could give you my recipe if you like DMS and Ally @Ally:D

5. That is brilliant George but I just wonder if it could be done in a "normal" education establishment?

6. It certainly can Allan and why not? Mine is an ordinary Establishment. In fact the week after next 3 Year 9-10 students will be here for Work Experience and will be doing this.:D:D

7. Except for the staff, of course.....

8. DMS

DMS

Yes please. That would be great.

9. Here it is DMS and Ally @Ally

Petroleum Ether:Chloroform:pPropanone in the ratio 3:1:1

if you don't have Chloroform you could try Dichloromethane

Enjoy!:D:D

AllantheTech likes this.
  10. DMS

DMS

Thankyou George

11. Ah, I thought that might have a chlorinated hydrocarbon in it. Sometimes found separations when nothing else would do. My favourite was Chloroform / Di ethyl ether 3:1. Run in a fume cupboard! Um..that was for column chromatography, the silica gel nearly vanished in it!
    I think dichloromethane might be easier to get than chloroform (Though not as effective IMVHO), Montreal and all that.

12. Just checked, SLS (Other suppliers are available :)) sell it at not too inflated a price, check out the Sigma-Aldrich prices :eek:.
    Still not sure I'd use in in a lab class though.

13. I remember getting good separations with Toluene / Ethyl Acetate. 7:2 as I recall. Might make a good second dimension solvent to the pet spirit / chloroform / propanone. Chloroform, / acetone rings alarm bells.

14. The amount of Mobile phase used is no more than 0.2-3 cm in depth - minimal risk when placed in the Fume cupboard. Also I'd rather use Chloroform than Toluene. The separation is very rapid as you can observe from the series of Chromatograms shown above. The separation of bands is very clean compared to when other general Mobile Phases are used. Dave as you've pointed out the effect of the Mobile Phase with Silica needs to be considered.:D:D

15. I'll mention this to our other technician as I'll have retired by the time this come around again. As you say, the quantities are small so I think we will get away with it.

GeorgetheScienceTech likes this.
  16. laurel-50pc.png
    Here's another one that I did with Laurel and Heuchera.:);)

17. From a Horse Chestnut.:);)

chlorophyll absorptio.png

Attached Files:

AllantheTech likes this.
  18. This is the point I was making about the Banding Patterns - in some species the Beta-Carotene Band is very broad and intense. In the Horse Chestnut the opposite is true. Please return my Pixie/Fairy Washing Up helpers Allan.:D:D:D:D

19. Send me a pic of your Geranium extract Chromatogram.:)