Plant Pigment Chromatography

Ah, I thought that might have a chlorinated hydrocarbon in it. Sometimes found separations when nothing else would do. My favourite was Chloroform / Di ethyl ether 3:1. Run in a fume cupboard! Um..that was for column chromatography, the silica gel nearly vanished in it!
I think dichloromethane might be easier to get than chloroform (Though not as effective IMVHO), Montreal and all that.

Just checked, SLS (Other suppliers are available :)) sell it at not too inflated a price, check out the Sigma-Aldrich prices :eek:.
Still not sure I'd use in in a lab class though.

I remember getting good separations with Toluene / Ethyl Acetate. 7:2 as I recall. Might make a good second dimension solvent to the pet spirit / chloroform / propanone. Chloroform, / acetone rings alarm bells.

Just checked, SLS (Other suppliers are available :)) sell it at not too inflated a price, check out the Sigma-Aldrich prices :eek:.
Still not sure I'd use in in a lab class though.
I remember getting good separations with Toluene / Ethyl Acetate. 7:2 as I recall. Might make a good second dimension solvent to the pet spirit / chloroform / propanone. Chloroform, / acetone rings alarm bells.
Ah, I thought that might have a chlorinated hydrocarbon in it. Sometimes found separations when nothing else would do. My favourite was Chloroform / Di ethyl ether 3:1. Run in a fume cupboard! Um..that was for column chromatography, the silica gel nearly vanished in it!
I think dichloromethane might be easier to get than chloroform (Though not as effective IMVHO), Montreal and all that.
The amount of Mobile phase used is no more than 0.2-3 cm in depth - minimal risk when placed in the Fume cupboard. Also I'd rather use Chloroform than Toluene. The separation is very rapid as you can observe from the series of Chromatograms shown above. The separation of bands is very clean compared to when other general Mobile Phases are used. Dave as you've pointed out the effect of the Mobile Phase with Silica needs to be considered.:D:D

Thankyou George
That is brilliant George but I just wonder if it could be done in a "normal" education establishment?
I'll mention this to our other technician as I'll have retired by the time this come around again. As you say, the quantities are small so I think we will get away with it.
From a Horse Chestnut.:);)

chlorophyll absorptio.png

Attachments