Organising experiment set-up sheets

Discussion in 'Science Technicians - General Discussion' started by Technician Q, Mar 24, 2020 at 11:29 AM.

1. Anyone got any views on the best way to do this on paper? (We're old skool :eek:) Is it best by year following the SoW or better simply to alphabetise them? Or something I haven't thought of? I have a collection of display books to put instructions (and photographs in when I can).

2. karen b

karen b COMMITTEE

We have a folder per subject/year group and then by scheme of work within that folder. In physics I have labelled file dividers to split things up. I put the scheme of work first followed by print outs of the Lablogger template and any other information sheets such as experimental method from pre-Lablogger days

Technician Q likes this.
  3. Ours are all digital, a benefit of using activeteach.

4. I'm consolidating first

5. Depends on the size of the collection.

Personally I would arrange them by year group and within that split them into modules/subject areas. That way you can keep them grouped together and its easier to do one after the other during the year.

Alphabetising them sounds like a good idea but might end up a disaster for example if someone lifts one and puts it back in the wrong place then its effectively 'lost' until rediscovered. Another thing to think about is the traffic involved in it, having every practical in one folder or set of folders means there will be a lot of flicking back and forth and more likely to wear out the polypockets etc if that makes sense.

If I had it my way, I would love to give each practical we do its own unique code and then use that code to keep a digital library of everything as well

6. Yeah I think doing it by year group is a good start although there's a few that get repeated or done as a demo for one year group then as a class prac later. Access to them when actually setting up if they're digital is difficult so paper is going to work better as there would be a temptation to print off copies anyway. We have some on record cards that are alphabetical and as some practical s can be known by different things it can be messy and slow.

7. You need to embrace the spirality of the curriculum.

8. karen b

karen b COMMITTEE

The thing that frustrated me with this was schemes of work that just said “same as experiment.... done in year 9”. That meant looking through another folder to get the equipment information.

9. don't let teachers write schemes of work, they just put things in they think are fun.

Year 7 dissecting mice, never happened, ones who actually taught it were not interested thankfully.

10. Dare I say it - we use lablogger so every experiment is coded as per exam board and any tech guides or instruction for unique set ups are attached to every experiment eg below is our CP2d1 edexcel experiment which uses Data-Darvest dataloggers and dynamics track, we have some new 'Vision dataloggers' and some old 'Easy sense dataloggers' the second screen shot are the documents giving unique instructions to set up the equipment. When the teacher requests the experiment everything required is either attached or written in the equipment list, tech notes or risk assessment notes
    upload_2020-3-27_7-40-3.png
    2nd part of request - note 2 versions of set up depending on whether they are using the new vision dataloggers or the old easy sense ones
    upload_2020-3-27_7-43-41.png

11. or they could just ask for sp2d1 from activeteach without all the extra work.

12. But that wouldn't have the unique instructions for your own equipment would it?

13. no, I don't need that.

14. How do they 'ask' from activeteach?

15. write it on their requisition sheet.

16. So they've had to complete a requisition sheet then and you don't ask from 'activeteach' (which is front of class delivery software system) but just write SP2d1 on the requisition sheet - They then click the SPd1 link on activeteach which drops down the student practical sheet for them to work from.
    upload_2020-3-28_12-28-10.png
    the drop down work sheet ('activity sheet') is:
    upload_2020-3-28_12-30-13.png
    I like that for delivery in the lessons. Our teachers rarely use that method as all our students have booklets with all the practical activity sheets in. We need customised instructions for teachers who aren't familiar with our own equipment or have forgotten how to set it up.