Newbie to the Technician Game!

Discussion in 'New Members - Say Hello!' started by Emily Smith, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Hiya, I'm Emily, and as you may be able to tell from the thread title, I'm quite new to this role. I started as Senior Technician at a college in January of this year after many years working in industry. I absolutely love my job now!
    My background is mostly biology (degrees in Biomed and Molecular), and I was previously a Laboratory Manager in the microbiology sector.
    My biggest concerns are Chemistry (chemicals are scary, and it has been 15 years since I did chemistry A level!) and radioactivity.
    I'm looking forward to getting advice on serious intellectual matters, like "can I get set plaster of Paris out of a glass beaker?" and "what should I do with a sealed bottle of unidentified chemical?" and "I think one of the teachers is going to have a total melt-down, what should I do?"
    I will also be interested to see how others of you handle management when they're being... obtuse.

Jade likes this.
  2. Hello! All those answers and more can be found on here!

Look forward to hearing from you!

3. Welcome

4. prepAdmin

prepAdmin Administrator Staff Member Site Admin

5. Welcome to the group Emily.

For the teacher having a meltdown we supply tissues, a cup of tea, chocolate biscuits, a listening ear and brisk advice/offer of help to get them back on track. Luckily she's been on maternity leave since last October so we've had a quiet year!

Emily Smith likes this.
  6. Similar. Lock themselves in the chem store for a good swear. Also 2 sinks, one to wash up, one for staff with morning sickness. Heh.

7. Welcome

8. Welcome Emily

9. Welcome Emily!!

10. Hello

11. Greetings from sunny Scotland

12. Welcome Emily, but don't worry about chemistry its easy.

I always say if you can cook you can do chemistry :p

clairelucas likes this.