Molar volume of a gas

Discussion in 'Supporting Chemistry' started by Curtius, Mar 24, 2020 at 10:41 AM.

1. HI all, do you set up any class practicals to demonstrate the volume occupied by 1 mole of a gas ? If so what do you do?

2. Use a known amount of magnesium (1g) place in a conical to which has 1M HCl then drop it in and place the Gas Syringe on it quickly. Measure the volume of Gas and the temperature. Next apply the Ideal gas Law. :)

3. Cool! I like that. Do you have a student sheet I could use?

4. The experiment I've linked to uses a burette. Yes, a bit fiddly, but ideal if you don't have a class set of gas syringes. It's doable - I remember carrying out this method when I was at school.

5. Thanks David.

6. I should have said approximately 0.2g of Magnesium, cleaned in HCl then accurately weighed to 3 d.p. David I have a few issues with the RSC method. Firstly it does not take into account the number of moles of Magnesium and much less accurate than using a Gas Syringe. I take your point though that not everyone will have a class set of syringes. We do this experiment routinely but give it a twist to challenge the year 12 and 13 students. We do not tell them that it is Magnesium as the aim for them to deduce what element in the Periodic Table it is based on the volume of hydrogen evolved under the stated conditions - i.e. determine the atomic weight using the equation PV=nRT. They all end up with the same answer Magnesium.:);)