Mercury lamp alternative for plant growth

Its what I've been told by my head of department. They said that the heat was important because during the winter the greenhouse gets very cold. I'm not sure though, as I know from seeing it myself that this lamp can scorch plants if left on for more than an hour.
The lamps I'm talking about are ones for photosynthesis in the lab - not greenhouse illumination and heating - If you're using a large lamp to heat the greenhouse then you're wasting a lot of money. It's light you want for lab photosynthesis definitely not heat.

Sorry for the confusion folks (i'm just as confused about it haha).

The lamp is used to encourage photosynthesis for a handful of plants for experiments and the lamp is left on in either my prep room or the class room that the experiment is being done in.

I just mentioned greenhouse because my head of department said that the geraniums would be cold in the greenhouse and would need heated up when brought into the prep room but as some folks have mentioned, heat isn't a factor for photosynthesis so I'm not really sure what the point is.

That said as I've only been in the job about 8 weeks I don't really want to get into a disagreement about it haha.

Sorry for the confusion folks (i'm just as confused about it haha).

The lamp is used to encourage photosynthesis for a handful of plants for experiments and the lamp is left on in either my prep room or the class room that the experiment is being done in.

I just mentioned greenhouse because my head of department said that the geraniums would be cold in the greenhouse and would need heated up when brought into the prep room but as some folks have mentioned, heat isn't a factor for photosynthesis so I'm not really sure what the point is.

That said as I've only been in the job about 8 weeks I don't really want to get into a disagreement about it haha.
I would be bring them in a day earlier to warm up inside or get a fan heater it would be much safer than that lamp you've described - I would worry about it breaking.