Measuring rate of aerobic respiration on yeast (A level practical)

Afternoon all,

Teacher didn't specify what this practical is/if it is a PAG (I need to get my boss to try to grow a pair to be firmer and stop bending over which is wasting our time and putting us behind but that is another matter!).

The practical (from here brief description) requires using different glucose concentrations and temperatures to measure the respiration.

I understand what is happening, but I can't fully picture what I need to set up.

Many thanks!

Yes I know.

Problem I have with my boss is that he comes from a different culture and it seems being firm is not in his tool box. I ask him time and time again, do write it in the practical reminder email, for teachers to be clear to what they want, and if they want us to demo stuff etc (this part of my reply might best be suited to another part of this forum!), but he never does it. This leads to us being behind, and numerous times I have refused to start before my time (I usually arrive early) and giving demos when teachers tell me ON THE SPOT!

Anyway, I have prepared three different glucose concentrations and I guess I could set up three water baths at different temperatures, but apart from that I need to do some more research on it.

Are your boss and the teacher in question the same person? If they're different people why can't you go and ask the teacher directly to clarify what they want?
I understand your issues with teachers not being specific enough when ordering their lessons as we have the same problem here. We're pretty firm on it though. If they don't give clear guidance we'll email them asking for the information and if they don't reply they don't get anything. Its not our job to do their orders or planning for them and we're not mind readers so we can't guess what they need.

No. The trouble is my boss's English language is not good, so I am in a bit of a tricky situation. I am also a trainee tech, so i'm learning this too. I am more than happy to find out ways to do it, but the trouble is the teacher is never around and because time has been flushed down the drain due to some time wasting practices that the boss has put in, we are behind and the practical is tomorrow period one!

I have found something though, and I am working on preparing it (and re-listening as I write this to the youtube video!).

If its similar to the PAG we do with yeast and our A Level students, then it stipulates that they have to design an experiment where they can choose to investigate effect of temperature, conc of glucose, or type of sugar (glucose/sucrose/fructose/lactose) on respiration of yeast and how they will carry out the investigation. Ours tend to do it in 2 parts - the first session I give them a tray with 'demo equipment' so they can see what they have access to, by the end of the lesson they come up with equipment lists (usually missing several vital bits of information - 'measuring cylinder' or 'beaker' without stipulating size is a fairly chocolate teapot request...) and the next session they carry out the investigation, aka cause chaos. As the others have said, you need all the information - I have access to a folder with all the PAGs in it, otherwise it would be near on impossible to do my job!

karen b

COMMITTEE
If its similar to the PAG we do with yeast and our A Level students, then it stipulates that they have to design an experiment where they can choose to investigate effect of temperature, conc of glucose, or type of sugar (glucose/sucrose/fructose/lactose) on respiration of yeast and how they will carry out the investigation. Ours tend to do it in 2 parts - the first session I give them a tray with 'demo equipment' so they can see what they have access to, by the end of the lesson they come up with equipment lists (usually missing several vital bits of information - 'measuring cylinder' or 'beaker' without stipulating size is a fairly chocolate teapot request...) and the next session they carry out the investigation, aka cause chaos. As the others have said, you need all the information - I have access to a folder with all the PAGs in it, otherwise it would be near on impossible to do my job!

This is how we do this practical here. Just about to tackle the final pile of washing up

Mandy is correct, if the teacher puts the bare minimum on the requisition sheet, they must be prepared for you to ask how you wish it to be presented to them for that particular class. They should be professional/grown up enough to allow you to question them so everyone gets what they want. Can't be helpful to the teacher if they come into a practical with the wrong set up and have to wing it in front of the kids as a result. You are there to assist in the process, hopefully they can see that with a bit of diplomatic spiel....?

I have also downloaded all the PAGs on my drive and we have a central hard copy of all of them which are both invaluable tools.