Measuring frequency for EDEXCEL speed of Sound in solid CORE PRAC

Discussion in 'Supporting Physics' started by Carine, Mar 12, 2018 at 11:43 AM.

1. OK I give up, everything people suggests does not seem to work.

Wording on Edexcel worksheet: "Hold a smartphone with a frequency app near the rod and note down the peak frequency"

We have tried the following apps:
    VisualAudio Real Time Spectrum Analyser
    sound analyser PRO
    Audio Frequency Counter
    NONE of the above will give us a single value for PEAK FREQUENCY that we can then use to CALCULATE the speed of sound.
    I am fully aware that it makes more sense to measure speed and then calculate frequency but we're trying to follow the method as laid down by exam board.
    We have tried contacting exam board but they are less than helpful.

The only app we have found that works is SAMSUNG: Frequency Counter - but relies on one pupil at least having a Samsung phone.
    I have a picoscope that does the job about 2 in 3 times, however software is very un-user friendly and requires my presence in the lab as it is only on my laptop and cannot be put onto any other computers. Also results are extremely variable and difficult to get 3 vaguely similar readings.

SO: what I want to know, what is everyone else doing with this one please?
  2. Fortunately we don't do Edexcel, especially as mobile phones can only be used in KS5 lessons here.

However all the exam boards say you can do something completely different, perhaps it is time to do that?
  3. Seems that Edexcel are being a little more prescriptive over their core praticals than other exam boards. They have said that pupils may be asked questions about specific practicals set by them in the GCSE written paper so teachers understandably don't want to confuse the pupils by doing things differently.
  4. We've found an android app: frequency analyzer to be good for this practical and very user friendly. Haven't had much luck with an app for iphones, the one I've used is ianalyser lite, it seems alright. We haven't trialled these with a class yet, only teacher demonstration's so far.
    Hope this can be of some help :).
  5. We have bought focuselearning's core practical webpage thingy.
  6. Our physics teacher did the "Ask the Expert Query | Separate and combined science waves topic 4 required practical"

7. Well that's just bizarre, we do the measurement of the standing wave on a string for AQA, how could you do that without explaining what a standing wave was?
  8. Yep, the question was do I have to teach them standing waves.