Making nylon – the ‘nylon rope trick’

Discussion in 'Supporting Chemistry' started by JHRoss, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Dear both,

We have the "Making nylon – the ‘nylon rope trick’" demonstration and so we need some quantity of solid sebacoyl chloride (decanedioyl dichloride) in grams - which means solid

The thing is no one of the big supplier companies sells sebacoyl chloride,

Any ideas on the issue?

Regards

2. I've just checked Timstar and Breckland, they sell it.
    The chemical is a liquid at room temperature.

3. Forgot to add you can buy the already diluted stock at 5% which works fine for the nylon rope straight out of the bottle.

4. Our chem tech isn't in at the moment so I can't check, but I'm pretty sure we get ours from either Surechem or Timstar.

5. We get the already diluted stock. Works fine for nylon rope. Our 6th form have a competition to see which one can get the longest single strand :)

l johnson likes this.
  6. Another vote for getting it bought in premade
    It's nasty stuff, the less you have to play with it the better ;)

l johnson likes this.
  7. Not in solid form

8. You can't buy it as a solid because it is a liquid at room temperature...
    Is there a reason why you cannot weigh the liquid instead?
    Or better yet, buy the already diluted solution which is safer and works straight out of the bottle.

Lesley Newcombe, JHRoss and CovTech like this.
  9. Well the worksheet of RSC says grams of Sebacoyl Chloride, so I will place the order putting not already diluted

Thanks a lot

10. I have always used the already diluted solution and it has worked perfectly! I wouldn't make more work/risk for yourself when there is no need to!

11. The equipment list says that but it doesn't need to be

If you look at the method it has a "Before the demonstration" part which has you making the sebacoyl chloride into a solution so the teacher never sees anything but the mixture regardless

Just save yourself a world of bother and buy the premade solution ;)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    JHRoss likes this.
  12. it's a liquid at room temperature, you can weigh a liquid.

JHRoss likes this.
  13. On the same topic, this has been requested for after half term. I've not prepped it before. Do you pre measure the reagents or give the bottles? How do I clean it up once complete?

Thank you :)

14. I would give no more than 5cc and equal amounts of each solution. Just keep on making nylon until all the reagents are used up. I then rinse the nylon in tap water, wrap up in some paper and put it in the normal refuse.

15. That is exactly what we do too...

16. The exact amount (of premade liquid) isn't important because it is the junction of the two liquids that is important. The amount is only important in getting the right concentration, which is not an issue if you are buying premade.

(I was a bit confused by being given a mass in the recipe and then, in the dodgy old jars we had, finding various solid and gloop. But I weighed out the gloop to make the right concentration and it worked fine.

17. My teachers are happy with a small demo which I like to think is pretty foolproof (!) I put 5 - 10ml of each reagent in a specimen bottle. I label one 'A' 1,6 diaminohexane and the other 'B' Sebacoyl chloride 5% in cyclohexane both with the relevant hazard symbols. The teachers then know to add a pipette full of A to a 50 ml beaker and then using a clean pipette to add a pipette full of B down the side of a beaker. Then they have a pair of tweezers to grab the layer formed and wind it around a glass rod. I ask them to leave the resulting mix for technician clean up and to definitely not pour anything down a sink unless they want a blocked sink. To dispose i will muddle any liquid left in the bottom of the 50ml beaker to ensure it has all reacted and then rinse everything in water and any nylon gets wrapped in tissue and thrown in the waste.

Emil Retaw likes this.
  18. Thanks all - great advice :)

19. When I was reading this I thought I wrote it for a sec, because it is EXACTLY what I do word for word...

Alex Craig likes this.
  20. Do you all do this as a demo? Class set requested for Y11 chemists.