It's January so it must be pondweed time...

Discussion in 'Supporting Biology' started by ClaireS, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Has anyone tried using Egeria najas (narrow leaf anacharis) for the pondweed bubble counting required practical? It was suggested in last Autumns CLEAPSS bulletin but I han't even heard of it. We used Elodea/Egeria densa last year and it didn't give great results...Anyone got any experience with E. najas? Thanks

2. We have been using spiked/water milfoil (Myriophyllum spicatum) which i had put in my pond at home. It works ok but does seem a little temperamental - some plant stems bubble away like mad while some just do nothing!
    I started using it as I had a free supply from home and it seemed to keep ok for quite a while in a tank in the lab.
    [​IMG]

ClaireS likes this.
  3. Be careful using plants from ponds as there is a very slight risk of catching weil's disease from rat urine in the water. If you have to use wild pond plants then at least wash them in several changes of clean chlorinated water before use.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    ClaireS likes this.
  4. Thanks for this advice, had never considered the risk of weil's disease. o_O

5. I've found cabomba gives by miles the best results, however its not native to the UK so I buy in from Amazon. It also doesn't keep very well in a tank so I need to buy it in each time. I'd be interested to know if other people have found anything that works as well as this or has had any luck in keeping it alive in a tank.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    ClaireS likes this.
  6. I've found cabomba best but, for some reason, I thought it was no longer allowed to be used in the UK.

7. Cabomba Carolina and Red Cabomba are banned
    Cabomba Aquatica is still allowed (for the moment) - it's less good than the Carolina but works ok-ish

8. I use Hornwort and it works well

9. Do you know if it keeps well in a tank to avoid having to buy in each time ?

10. Not very sure because I order it when necessary.

11. We've been using egeria densa from the local aquarist, keeps nicely in the tropical fishtank and actually makes bubbles on cue.

ClaireS and Smiff12 like this.
  12. I could never keep elodea (or whatever it is now!) until someone on here gave the advice of putting it in aged water. Ours has been going a good few months now and it's thriving. Small tank of aged water (keep it topped up with distilled), sand in the bottom with a filter pump and one of those air stone things attached. I use a desk lamp on it during the day, although it survived Christmas term without.

13. Nick Mitchener

Nick Mitchener COMMITTEE

I'm just a simple Physics tech, but why do biologists do photosynthesis and pollen tubes in mid winter? Have they never heard of seasons? Or are the rotas written by Australians?

14. I can only assume the latter. :/ Nobody seems to do much bio in summer either, most frustrating.

16. our school is the same we were carrying out the starch in a leaf test in late November!

ClaireS likes this.
  17. paul r

paul r COMMITTEE

same here ! This is crazy !
    Am I missing something, surely it cannot be that difficult to adapt the scheme of work so the practicals that are best done in spring summer happen then?
    please do not get me on the subject of inefficency and waste in schools !

Rachel likes this.
  18. I've got two lots of it this week :( and a pondweed.

Rachel likes this.
  19. Years ago, we used to do all the photosynthesis stuff in September - then things changed and they did it in February, complaining that it didn't work very well. We carefully explained about the concept of winter, and that a quick look at the trees and shrubs outside may give a clue about whether many plants actively photosynthesise at that time (we had to give another clue though, after blank looks - how many LEAVES can you see.....? :D ), so they then delayed it until spring. A couple of years ago our Y9's began starting GCSE in January, and the topic rota put photosynthesis back in September. All good so far.....
    But this year, someone had the bright idea of starting with topic 8 rather than topic 1 (I think you may be ahead of me here.....!) - photosynthesis. Again we tried to explain, but were told "it's too late - the rotas are done". "But it won't work very well", said we. The response: "It doesn't matter. The results aren't important so long as they see the process" :confused:
    Not the first time we've heard "the results don't matter" either......... :eek:

Techno likes this.
  20. Julie Delaney

Julie Delaney COMMITTEE

mine has turned into an horrific soup of detritus. I just put it in tap water, hoping it would thrive and now I have to clean it out. We don't have an aeration system. it does really well in my garden pond but I cannot keep it alive in a tank in school.:(:(