Items for dissection

Suddenly had a few requests for lungs next week - we had two sets of lamb lites from specimens for schools for open evening but there just isn't money in the budget for every class to now have a go!

Do abattoirs charge for lites/plucks?

How do you manage this? I don't have the time in the school day to be driving off to an abattoir and I don't think I should have to go in my own time. I also don't have access to petty cash so have to claim back - something that never quite works out as the cash doesn't go back into the bank!

Yes most abattoirs will charge for a pluck or for individual organs
How much depends on them but we've paid between £5 for a full pluck to £2.80 per heart in the past from various places

As to the rest I agree you should never go in your own time or pay out your own money with no expectation of reimbursement and I'll be honest with that sort of notice for something as niche as fresh organs my lot'd be lucky if I didn't laugh them out of the building, through the gates and down the road :p

Try a local butcher if you have one. Ours butcher their own animals so they used to give us lungs for free. They don't sell them so they don't charge although I used to take biscuits as a thank you. Obviously we used to pay for kidneys, hearts etc.

We have a great local butcher who gets the lungs for us. As said earlier biscuits go down well:)

We have a local wholesaler- they'll generally charge for 'useful meats' eg hearts and pluck, but charge by the lb so its cheaper. Eyes etc tend to be free..

Butcher is the way forward but if there is no money then so be it, dissection cancelled until they stop spending it on the photocopier!

Suddenly had a few requests for lungs next week - we had two sets of lamb lites from specimens for schools for open evening but there just isn't money in the budget for every class to now have a go!

How do you manage this? I don't have the time in the school day to be driving off to an abattoir and I don't think I should have to go in my own time. I also don't have access to petty cash so have to claim back - something that never quite works out as the cash doesn't go back into the bank!
Looks like they are stuffed :(

my butcher (when i had one) charged, you can make them last be re-freezing them, if they don't cut it up too much.

We get them from the local butcher, but we have to tell them in advance before an abbatoir run as they're a special order kind of deal. They do charge but not nearly as expensive as SFS.
I don't drive so I get whichever teacher is passing closest to the butcher on their way home to do the pick up.

We get them from the local butcher, but we have to tell them in advance before an abbatoir run as they're a special order kind of deal. They do charge but not nearly as expensive as SFS.
I don't drive so I get whichever teacher is passing closest to the butcher on their way home to do the pick up.
Generally they are slashed by the meat inspectors though.

karen b

COMMITTEE
Generally they are slashed by the meat inspectors though.
We gave them a letter on headed paper saying they were for school dissection use and would not be used as food. They don’t slash them and generally leave more of the “pipe work” connected as well

Where do you all LIVE??!!
No local abbatoirs, wouldn't get me within mile even if there were!
We get hearts, kidneys etc from supermarket.
Lungs from Turkish/international minimarket. Lungs are Akciger in turkish btw:p I looked it up after having very amusing exchange with Turkish butcher who didn't have clue what I was talking about and he fell about laughing at my drawing! Apparently they call lungs 'white liver', who knew?
We also freeze lungs after use, although our teachers only look at the cut bit that the butchers do & use pump to blow them up. We keep them until they start to smell a bit ripe :confused:

We gave them a letter on headed paper saying they were for school dissection use and would not be used as food. They don’t slash them and generally leave more of the “pipe work” connected as well
Direct from abbatoir or from the butcher Karen?
Ours will leave the pipework on but sometimes still get a bit of slashing.

Where do you all LIVE??!!
No local abbatoirs, wouldn't get me within mile even if there were!
We get hearts, kidneys etc from supermarket.
Lungs from Turkish/international minimarket. Lungs are Akciger in turkish btw:p I looked it up after having very amusing exchange with Turkish butcher who didn't have clue what I was talking about and he fell about laughing at my drawing! Apparently they call lungs 'white liver', who knew?
We also freeze lungs after use, although our teachers only look at the cut bit that the butchers do & use pump to blow them up. We keep them until they start to smell a bit ripe :confused:
Where do you LIVE??!! no local Turkish/international minimarket
We get heart, kidneys etc from the abbatoir I pass on my way to and from work, so fresh they are still warm.

karen b

COMMITTEE
Direct from abbatoir or from the butcher Karen?
Ours will leave the pipework on but sometimes still get a bit of slashing.
Both from a butcher and now an abattoir. We used to get them from a butcher with his own abattoir on site but when he closed another local butchers would supply us, but needed a bit more notice. I am sure both of these gave us decent usable samples

Now we have invested in a large freezer and go to an abattoir and bulk buy samples once or twice a year.