Is this a mercury thermometer?

Discussion in 'Science Technicians - General Discussion' started by Ophelia, Oct 11, 2019 at 11:17 AM.

1. 2882C242-62F9-4015-B67F-923ECC16A4A4.jpeg 93EFF328-DD48-4A52-BEE5-20645947A54D.jpeg

Teachers are using this thermometer for a fractional distillation demo. There is some disagreement about what the liquid in the thermometer is. Could it be mercury? If not, what is it likely to be?

2. Kat

Kat

looks like mercury to me!

Beaker and Ophelia like this.
  3. Yes Ophelia the shiny silvery tip is a giveaway - Mercury. We have Mercury thermometers but we don't use them as if they are broken you'll be crawling on the floor all day or maybe all week, with the Cleanup kit. Use the Kerosene ones instead. I'm glad you're still enjoying the role.:);)

4. Seconded

5. Thanks. You’ve confirmed my thoughts.

6. Did I say I’m still enjoying it? :po_O

7. Obviously Mercury. Just out of interest, what did the other person think was in the thermometer?

Nick Mitchener and Ophelia like this.
  8. They didn’t know.

9. If its silver its mercury if its red/blue/green its not :D

Ophelia likes this.
  10. That's scary.:);)

Jonesy, ClaireS and Ophelia like this.
  11. Tell me about it.

Jonesy and Alice like this.
  12. More to the point, it's an entirely unsuitable form for the experiment. 50mm immersion means that the thermometer should be immersed up to that depth for accurate measurement. It's also rather short and lacking in depth of scale divisions.