Investigation into effect of plant hormones on growth?

Afternoon all,

This is (OCR) PAG 11.4 - does anyone know what students will actually be doing (the information given is very vague)?

Equipment for this is the following:

- Small seedlings & corn coleoptiles (I bought Sweetcorn, not Maize)
- Bench lamp
- IAA/Gibberellin
- Agar cubes
- Potting compost
- Scalpels

I know about plant hormones but I am having trouble visualize what they are doing.

Many thanks :)

at a guess cutting the seedlings in half and inserting agar cubes with and without IAA/Gibberellin and looking at the tropic responses.

Good luck with that.

is this GCSE or A-Level.

it suggests

• Two possible experiments can be carried out in this PAG:
i) investigation of IAA concentration on the stem elongation of maize coleoptiles/seedlings,
ii) Investigation of the effect of Gibberellin concentration on the germination of maize seeds (Centres following Biology B may wish to use the activity on seed germination rather than shoot growth as this links to 4.4.1 Plant reproduction).

This is (OCR) PAG 11.4 - does anyone know what students will actually be doing (the information given is very vague)?
I think the whole point is that the students devise their own experiment - you just provide the equipment!

We've managed to avoid doing this one - hooray! :D

Afternoon all,

Equipment for this is the following:

- Small seedlings & corn coleoptiles (I bought Sweetcorn, not Maize)
- Bench lamp
- IAA/Gibberellin
- Agar cubes
- Potting compost
- Scalpels

I know about plant hormones but I am having trouble visualize what they are doing.

Many thanks :)
Trialled this without success! Very small agar cubes soaked in IAA/Gibberellin, balanced on top of cut corn coleoptiles - great fun though!