Identify Geiger Muller tube

This looks very like a Griffin Education Geiger-Muller tube holder with tube - missing its cover
from my notes..."For use with G-M (XKS-800-030R) [Centronic ZP 1481 (MX 168)] and scale (IPC-3342-T) "
1593429495357.png
1593429563403.png
If you are not aware.. the front 'window' of the GM tube is extremely fragile and must be protected from ANY physical contact.

Hope this helps
Harvey

I believe it is the old and discontinued PTE 100 connector.
Rarely they may turn up on Ebay. A regular BNC plug and socket can be used instead but they are only rated to 500v so you are likely to be pushing it a little. A better option is to fit the SHV BNC which is rated to 10000v but there may not be enough room inside the housing to fit the longer socket.
Do a search on SHV BNC and you will see the size issue.
Harvey

I believe it is the old and discontinued PTE 100 connector.
Rarely they may turn up on Ebay. A regular BNC plug and socket can be used instead but they are only rated to 500v so you are likely to be pushing it a little. A better option is to fit the SHV BNC which is rated to 10000v but there may not be enough room inside the housing to fit the longer socket.
Do a search on SHV BNC and you will see the size issue.
Harvey
so if it's a PTE 100 it will need an old philip harris digicounter probably.

It will probably work with quite a few different geiger counters - particularly the models that have adjustable voltage for the tube.

Harvey

Thank you this very helpful.

It's used with the digicounter below.

PS Aware how fragile the front window is - it has been handled very carefully! Any suggestions for sourcing a replacement cap?

Attachments

I've made holders before using PVC plumbing parts. use a piece of wire mesh over the face to protect the window

1593439596961.png
PVC tube with smaller tube glued just short of the end to stop mesh hitting window. then a PVC cap with a large hole cut in it glued over the end securing the mesh inside.

Harvey

A BNC connector is fine in place of the PET100. The tube is rated at less than 500V and modern apparatus uses them anyway. If you do not have PET100 connectors on everything (tube holder, scalar, and lead) it is easy to replace the lot with BNC connectors (50ohm ones are by far the most common). The panel mounted ones need to be those with a fixing nut not a flange - this fits through the original hole for the PET100 connector. Assembled BNC to BNC leads are cheap and readily available. Do not omit the resistor in the tube holder - it is essential to avoid damage to the tube and must be mounted close to the tube base.

https://www.rapidonline.com/truconnect-50-ohm-nickel-plate-bnc-bulkhead-socket-16-0111

https://www.rapidonline.com/truconnect-1-metre-bnc-to-bnc-plug-lead-16-0330