How to keep elodea

Discussion in 'Supporting Biology' started by Irene, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Hi All,

I have recently purchased some oxygenating plants for the photosynthesis practical. Are there any specific environments to keep them alive for further practicals. I am at the moment keeping them in an oxygenating tank with water snails....but they don't look particularly healthy. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Irene

2. lots of light would be my suggestion - the ones I have in a tank on the window sill seem to have rooted and still going well, had them since November

3. I have put them by the window. Would too much nitrates affect the plant? as I have snails and haven't had a chance to clean the tank out yet.

4. You will probably need to give them additional light at this time of year if keeping on a window sill- 2400 lumen LED lamp on a timer to give additional light in the morning and at night. Mine are in a fish tank on the window sill and are looking a bit 'leggy' due to the short days. A few drops of 'baby bio' 'doesn't go amiss

5. Thanks, I might try that then.

6. I put a couple of tanks of distilled water in the window and added the bunches of elodea that i'd bought from an aquarium supplier. It took a long time to actually start growing but once it got going it grew really well. It seemed to grow best over the summer holiday - obviously because of more sun but also probably because I wasn't disturbing it every day. I thought of getting an air block for the tanks but it doesn't seem necessary. I just top up the water occasionally. I stuck the daphnia in there too and they seem happy - had them for a good few months now.

7. I had one snail in, but poss too many may eat new growth.

8. Sorry to jump on this for advice also but what are the snails for?

I have a tank of it which is just water (half tap, half rainwater from our butt) and just have the plants in it with a aerator. Is there anything else I can do to help longevity?

9. I keep cabomba in the community fish tank, grows beautifully.
    It's a heavily planted tropical tank with a male betta, six purple harlequin rasbora, four pygmy corydoras catfish and some cherry shrimp.
    Good small-scale example of an ecosystem for when we're doing ecology too.

stelden likes this.
  10. So pleased to see this topic - I'm putting a 'plant tank' together here :)

The snails will eat algae and do the 'farming for you'. Been advised to add some shrimp too in the future.

I've a 60litre tank in preparation for plants and fish (minnows) this week. Been told to add a snail.

One of our teachers has elodea in his pond so will bring some in once tank established.

Leigh....

BioBee likes this.