Hello, I have a query regarding Universal Indicator.

Discussion in 'Science Technicians - General Discussion' started by Tech22, May 17, 2019.

1. We use full range UI with a pH 7 = yellow. We have recently noticed some catalogues are selling two types of full range UI with pH 7 = Yellow or Green. We are thinking pH7 should be green, this indicator is more expensive than the one we have been buying, is it worth the additional expense and why are there two colours for pH 7? What are peoples thoughts on this matter?

2. Paul Murphy

Paul Murphy COMMITTEE

We only buy UI from one supplier as it gives the traditional colour range. They are one of this site's sponsors based in Hyde near Manchester. Sorry to be criptic but I don't know if I can name them on here.

3. I would think it depends on the syllabus as well, if the students need to know green = 7 then I would go fro the green, if not then yellow should be fine.
    I use a full range with Green as 7

4. You mean you buy from SLS education!

5. Paul Murphy

Paul Murphy COMMITTEE

You got me there I just checked the website....:rolleyes:

6. Well its either them or Timstar :D

Paul Murphy likes this.
  7. There are a few different recipes of "universal indicator". Some are cheaper and/or easier to make than others. You make your choice and you pay your money.

8. Our Chem tech make ours. Yamadas it used to be called. In Cleapss recipe book.

9. We make up Yamada's as per Cleapss too, works well, much cheaper than buying in