Furloughed?

As from Moday(6 April) I'm furloughed, 100% pay for April, 80% from May.
Been told not to do anything that might be considered working,
Time to break out the tech toys.

karen b

COMMITTEE
Same. I did bring home a couple of toys that I never have chance to get working so I am going to look at these. Neither are part of the current curriculum so it is merely personal interest.

Same for me from April . Apart from my salary being topped up up to 100 % by the school , which I appreciate.
I regret not having brought any "toys" home, but I'm busy enough dealing with a 3 years old toddler and a 10 months old baby...

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
I assume these are not State schools as the Government has said the scheme is not for them. Our school still has the same income so it is still paying everybody's wages. It's a problem for supply teachers, and the catering company is no longer getting an income from students so they are furloughed by the contractor, but contracts like cleaning and grounds maintenance are continuing.

I was furloughed last night on 100% pay for an initial 3 week period back dated to 1st April. I had to agree to it as they can't furlough you without your agreement. Let's not mention if I did any work in the last 7 days???? Of course I knew this surprise would happen last night and it would be back dated. 'Luckily' because of my foresight, no work has been done since 1st April.:rolleyes:
Yes it is a fee paying school and included in the letter was this:
'These are difficult times, and they will continue for some time to come. By doing this now we greatly increase the chances of us surviving this and not being one of the independent schools that do not manage to emerge at the other end. Peter Woodroffe from ISA was quoted in TES at the weekend as saying he feels that 15-20% may not survive.'

Last edited:
Of course there was no discussion about any outstanding things that need to be done such as routine equipment maintenance, keeping living creatures alive, updating stock lists, risk assessment etc. etc. of course there was no discussion about work done since the school closed and of course my HOD had not been consulted or even informed (as she never is - I ended up telling her). - I'm sure they will give me lots of notice of the school reopening and pay me to come in a couple of weeks before that to get things ready. I quote from April prep-room.org monthly news letter 'technician spotlight':

"If you could change one thing about the science technician profession, what would it be?

A better understanding of our role by the senior management team who, all too often, have no science teacher representation and consequently no idea of the role and no inclination to find out."

I rest my case:confused:

Last edited:

karen b

COMMITTEE
Independent school here as well. Before we knew about the option to be on furlough leave the head had contacted us about arrangements for the plants and animals. She lives on site and offered to feed the animals and water the plants.

I hope we get the option to go in before schools restart so we can do things like the stock take and orders. Also not sure how book return from various groups is going to work this year. I suspect we may just have to write some off. Some parents are already kicking off about fees - I can't see reclaiming for non-returned books going down well.

Yes, Independent school too. Some parents are saying not able to pay fees. Head recommends agreeing to furlough as otherwise redundancies inevitable. Top ups may not happen as staff still working may find it unfair to them. Time will be allowed when reopen to do those jobs missed due to not being there. Science won't be doing any experiments for a while though as all goggles, safety specs and gloves given to NHS. Don't know if we can easily source replacements later.
Back dating furlough pay doesn't make sense to me as we have been working for that period.
Can see us saying goodbye to the books too.

Yes, Independent school too. Some parents are saying not able to pay fees. Head recommends agreeing to furlough as otherwise redundancies inevitable. Top ups may not happen as staff still working may find it unfair to them. Time will be allowed when reopen to do those jobs missed due to not being there. Science won't be doing any experiments for a while though as all goggles, safety specs and gloves given to NHS. Don't know if we can easily source replacements later.
Back dating furlough pay doesn't make sense to me as we have been working for that period.
Can see us saying goodbye to the books too.
Back dating means the school saves maximum money possible and have assumed that no work was done since the date furloughed. Teaching staff are to be furloughed on a 3 week rotation - half first three weeks then work normally and other half furloughed for three weeks, then back to first set again. That way all are treated fairly. At the moment all furloughed staff have their pay made up to 100%.

Got the furlough letter yesterday also, up to 80% salary from beginning of this week until 31st May, no top up. Don't think they consulted my HoD so I have left them a list of things I normally do as the management are under the illusion I do nothing in between times of course. I fear for the lives of the stick insects...I know the fish will get attention though....I have asked for the chemical storage areas to be checked at every week o_O Teachers busy over the hols setting up for next terms remote teaching so hopefully being paid in full so far....

Got the furlough letter yesterday also, up to 80% salary from beginning of this week until 31st May, no top up. Don't think they consulted my HoD so I have left them a list of things I normally do as the management are under the illusion I do nothing in between times of course. I fear for the lives of the stick insects...I know the fish will get attention though....I have asked for the chemical storage areas to be checked at every week o_O Teachers busy over the hols setting up for next terms remote teaching so hopefully being paid in full so far....
Yet another example of senior managers having no idea about our roles and not bothering to find out. If one thing comes out of all this, is we are now seeing real evidence which shows the extent of the undervaluing our role. @prepAdmin take note and monitor this.

It is clear to me that many SMTs think there is a magic room (a prep-lab) and the only thing the lab tech does is go in there and just take stuff off the shelves and put it in the labs.... oh and of course a general washer up.

Yet another example of senior managers having no idea about our roles and not bothering to find out. If one thing comes out of all this, is we are now seeing real evidence which shows the extent of the undervaluing our role. @prepAdmin take note and monitor this.

It is clear to me that many SMTs think there is a magic room (a prep-lab) and the only thing the lab tech does is go in there and just take stuff off the shelves and put it in the labs.... oh and of course a general washer up.
I heard nothing from my school so as far as I am aware I am on 100% pay, but it is a state funded academy so I am guessing they get less value from furlough? (20% vs 80% in the private sector?)
There is essentially going to be a big reset in the economy and I would not be surprised if the people who lose the most from this will not be the least paid (for once!) because our wages aren't much higher than the living wage, but those overpaid, useless SLMT. Maybe this crisis will give an opportunity for all sectors to re-evaluate their staffing and cut where they get the most gains. There is only so much support staff you can get rid of before a school cannot literally function. Maybe it is time to start looking at the top?

I heard nothing from my school so as far as I am aware I am on 100% pay, but it is a state funded academy so I am guessing they get less value from furlough? (20% vs 80% in the private sector?)
There is essentially going to be a big reset in the economy and I would not be surprised if the people who lose the most from this will not be the least paid (for once!) because our wages aren't much higher than the living wage, but those overpaid, useless SLMT. Maybe this crisis will give an opportunity for all sectors to re-evaluate their staffing and cut where they get the most gains. There is only so much support staff you can get rid of before a school cannot literally function. Maybe it is time to start looking at the top?
In my experience from another national organisation - Senior managers seem to increase in numbers and the rank an file are given more managerial responsibilities with no increase in salary. That seems to be the way of things.
If a senior manager makes a mistake they tend to be 'allowed to take early retirement' Rank and file are sacked!!

karen b

COMMITTEE
In my experience from another national organisation - Senior managers seem to increase in numbers and the rank an file are given more managerial responsibilities with no increase in salary. That seems to be the way of things.
If a senior manager makes a mistake they tend to be 'allowed to take early retirement' Rank and file are sacked!!

Yes, not just in big companies. Years ago I was transferred from one university department to another, two other technicians went part-time between two department and two members of admin staff left (one retired one transferred) to save the department money At the end of the staff briefing a lecturer was congratulated by the vice chancellor on being promoted to a professorship.

More recently I've heard rumours that two technicians are leaving (one retirement, one redundancy) and not being replaced at the boys school down the road. And one of the senior staff has been promoted even further up the chain to potentially managed an overseas outpost of the school. (Though I guess that might be delayed in the current situation - bet his pay hasn't been cut though)

Our school of 350 pupils went from 1 head and a couple of senior teachers to 2 heads, 2 deputy heads and 3 assistant heads in the space of 2 years - one head had to resign (under a cloud) and wasn't replaced earlier this year.

Not furloughed but, as above, sent home without a thought of the stuff that still needs to be done and will need to be done so that we can hit the ground running when startup occurs. At present, that isn't going to happen.

Not furloughed but, as above, sent home without a thought of the stuff that still needs to be done and will need to be done so that we can hit the ground running when startup occurs. At present, that isn't going to happen.
Agree Mike - I have sent a message to the management about the important part of my job next term that involves the annual compliance side that school Science Depts are committed to that must be done in accordance with CLEAPSS and their own policy for HSE purposes. If they want to start afresh in September with no regard to this, then the lapse will have to be accounted for, and there is no excuse I can see for that to be ignored....

STEM1

Dave
Not furloughed but not permitted in school unless requested to supervise key workers children (rare).
To keep my brain busy I'm making a particle detector at home using peltier modules.
Not working is strange. I was looking forward to retirement but now I'm not so sure.
At least in retirement you can go shopping!

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
I'm not going anywhere beyond the end of the drive until the end of June at the earliest, but I hope to get in during the summer holidays to get ready for the next academic year.