Extracting iron and copper instruction sheets

Discussion in 'Top Tips' started by Techitude, Feb 6, 2019.

1. To help our teachers with large classes I have created an easy to follow instruction sheet for both extracting copper and extracting iron. Thought they may be of use to others.

The extracting copper mix is copper oxide and carbon powder in a 3:1 ratio. The method works really nicely and normally produces a very visible result. Test tubes do get discoloured but can be kept as a set just for this activity.

Extracting iron mix is iron (III) oxide and sodium carbonate. The carbon is introduced from the burning of the wooden spill. It also normally gives a good result with the creation of iron that can be moved around with the magnet. Students can use bunsens instead of candles but we found candles were just easier for us.

Feel free to amend in any way you fancy, and please shout up if you spot any mistakes (I'm not perfect!)

Attached Files:

Pandabear, Alice, JOJO and 6 others like this.
  2. These are great - thankyou!

Techitude likes this.
  3. Thank you for posting this - they look great. Now to convince my teachers that a change is a good idea...

4. Wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

5. Thank you so much for sharing this. The sheets look really good and if you don't mind I'll pass them onto our Head of Chemistry. We usually do the iron extraction on a match head which works well but this looks better. The copper extraction definitely looks better than the method we use with metal crucibles instead of test tubes and where there is usually a barely detectable amount of copper extracted.

6. Hi Technitude,

Thanks for these, they are really useful. What ratio do you suggest for the iron/sodium carbonate mixture?

7. Sorry for late replies to this, I've been off ill with the lurgy!

Yes please use it and amend it however you see fit, pass it around and share the joy :D

WillenhallTech - the iron/sodium carbonate mix isnt critical I've found so just a decent mix will be fine.

Julie Hammett - we had the same issue with the crucible method just not producing a decent yield of copper (bascially none!) so i'm trying to get them to switch to this method by enticing them with a colourful sheet

8. Cheers for that Technitude. We are going to give it a try this afternoon. I will let you know how it goes.

9. Thanks for this dude, I will see if I can get them to do this rather than lead extraction as the clean up is a pain in the arse from that!