estimating the size of a molecule using an oil film

Discussion in 'Supporting Physics' started by Smiff12, Nov 8, 2018 at 11:06 AM.

1. Hi Does anyone have any straightforward instructions for this practical please? I've got some from the Institute of Physics but it seems very complex and long winded :( Just wondered if anyone has done this before and has a simpler version. Many thanks.

2. :confused: I ought to know how to do this as my masters is in surface science and I know this was one of the practicals we did. In my defence I graduated 20+years ago.

It's not something we do here

Smiff12 likes this.
  3. I think we've done it in the dim and distant past but I can't find any reference to it in my own files

4. I seem to think there was a simple version but that's probably just wishful thinking :D

5. We did this at school. You need to get the diameter of the drop and the diameter of the oil film on the surface of the water. We used lycodium powder on the water surface and a travelling microscope for the measurements as I recall.

Smiff12 likes this.
  6. lycopodium powder sprinkled on top of the water & a VERY small drop of oil - do it in a standard gratnell tray (which gets pretty messy with the powder & oil stuck everywhere)

Smiff12 likes this.
  7. We did it in waxed baking trays..... probably from before Gratnells existed or plastic was discovered :)

Helen J likes this.
  8. Ahh that's why is suggests wax :D It also mentions vegetable black!!! Any suggestion on that one gratefully received :D

9. wood charcoal

10. Vegetable black is literally a black pigment made by burning veg oil

Smiff12 likes this.
  11. Thanks!

12. use the wax in the dissection trays in Biology

Smiff12 likes this.