Empty Still

I've just given our Still a descale. Was about to refill it but then thought they can stand empty can't they? Never done that before but then no practicals etc. Can it sit dry until September? Was thinking it won't spend another 2 months building up limescale!

Generally speaking, we leave ours dry until required. This area has very hard water and you can see the deposits from standing water in a relatively short time.

That's what I was thinking. It's like leaving a kettle dry more or less. I've really rinced the acid out so it should be ok. Thanks! We are also in a very hard water area.

You may have a problem if the thermostat is dodgy and someone turns the Still on - resulting in a burn out. :)
It'd have a job - I disconnect the power too. I am the sole user of the still and there's a written procedure everyone knows about turning on the water, filling it and waiting until there's through flow before switching on the heater. The apprentices wouldn't touch it and (well before my time) the biotech learnt this the hard way. It was more like a blowout. Anyone daring to touch it knows they'd be volunteering to descale it next time.

Theoretically it should be only me turning it on but I’ll leave a note and tell my HOD.
It'd have a job - I disconnect the power too. I am the sole user of the still and there's a written procedure everyone knows about turning on the water, filling it and waiting until there's through flow before switching on the heater. The apprentices wouldn't touch it and (well before my time) the biotech learnt this the hard way. It was more like a blowout. Anyone daring to touch it knows they'd be volunteering to descale it next time.
That is sound advice. If this bit of kit is Goosed you will be up the proverbial "Creek without a paddle". Sounds like you have got it sorted though. As you say, only people who know what they are are doing should operate it. We'll done you.

Last edited: