Do you keep live biological specimens in your prep room?

Afternoon all,

I am thinking of getting a few live specimens for science club and was wondering if (and what) live specimens you keep out f curiosity?

Many thanks :)

JFKtech

and then there were two - now JFK Techs :)
I've got giant african land snails at home, which I will bring in when teachers want to show them. I'm reluctant to keep them in school because the ventilation in our prep room is terrible so it's quite smelly; and I worry that they will absorb chemical vapours through their damp skins and get ill :(
We do keep brine shrimp, although they got a bit overgrown with algae during the summer and all died off.

I have across my prep room and the labs; a siamese fighting fish, a praying mantis, several varieties of stick insects, a colony of jewel beetles. I've also had giant millipedes and ant farms.

edit; I tend to try to keep things I can leave for at least a week at a time (with a robot feeder in the case of the fish) or take home easily to make school holidays less of a faff.

JFKtech

and then there were two - now JFK Techs :)
If the ventilation is so bad in your preproom that it might harm the land snails I'd be considering a change of employment.
I threw my toys out the pram a few months ago and I've been assured they're going to replace my window so I can actually open it, and install a ventilation system. No sign yet, so I'll be sending more stroppy emails soon. I figure the snails are a lot smaller than me, so it would take less chemical vapour to harm them.

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
I'm not a biologist, but I know mouse poison has to be stronger than rat poison because they eat less. Perhaps you are more at risk!

I'm not a biologist, but I know mouse poison has to be stronger than rat poison because they eat less. Perhaps you are more at risk!
Can you imagine the conversation with SLT though..."Sorry can't go in there, it'd kill snails and I'm bigger than they are!"

Nope, we got rid of all the fishies and stick insects cos they had a habit of dying during the holidays when no-one would feed them.
Get it in writing that someone will be actually PAID for coming in on holidays to feed them .

karen b

COMMITTEE
We currently have fish, terrapins, a gecko and giant snails. We have kept harvest mice, a hamster and a snake in the past (not in the same room!).
We also get large locusts for the biologists to look at.

We are on term time plus 10 days so work out a holiday rota to come in and feed the animals and water the plants

We currently have fish, terrapins, a gecko and giant snails. We have kept harvest mice, a hamster and a snake in the past (not in the same room!).
We also get large locusts for the biologists to look at.

We are on term time plus 10 days so work out a holiday rota to come in and feed the animals and water the plants
I'd love to keep a reptile here.

karen b

COMMITTEE
I'd love to keep a reptile here.
Choose the breed carefully, as our gecko is mostly nocturnal. A teacher suggested we could have saved ourselves some money by putting plants and a hollow log in a tank and merely claiming to have a gecko in there!

Choose the breed carefully, as our gecko is mostly nocturnal. A teacher suggested we could have saved ourselves some money by putting plants and a hollow log in a tank and merely claiming to have a gecko in there!
Saving this for April 1st....... :rolleyes:

No I do not keep them in my prep room, they live in the biology one instead :D

We have beetles of some sort that we use the maggots in the respiration prac at GCSE and A level

We had a hamster that was an escape artist. Got out & toddled into the VHS ( back in the day) we only found him when a teacher tried to put a video in & it wouldn't go right in, took it out, peered through the flap & there was a little face looking back at him. We heard the scream from the prep room!:D
Had to send it away to be fixed & in the 'problem' box we had to write 'hamster peed & pooed in it':D

I threw my toys out the pram a few months ago and I've been assured they're going to replace my window so I can actually open it, and install a ventilation system. No sign yet, so I'll be sending more stroppy emails soon. I figure the snails are a lot smaller than me, so it would take less chemical vapour to harm them.
No ventilation!!! We campaigned for years to get it here in Chem. Took having a tech that suffered migraines with the fumes to get it sorted.