Disinfectant 'bath's in classrooms?

Afternoon all,

Science department is thinking of putting a disinfectant bath in each classroom, which essentially is a large container filled with disinfectant for students to place their used equipment in (if applicable).

Any ideas of what's on the market to purchase for this specific purpose?

Many thanks :)

Don't do it.

Do they want to fill it with bleach and let the kids dump acid in it, generating chlorine gas.

Don't do it.

Do they want to fill it with bleach and let the kids dump acid in it, generating chlorine gas.
Not bleach, perhaps virkon. Either way, I don't think there is anything that has been tested on COVID-19.

Does bring up a valid point, in addition to not being able to put in chemicals that need proper treatment for example.

Not bleach, perhaps virkon. Either way, I don't think there is anything that has been tested on COVID-19.

Does bring up a valid point, in addition to not being able to put in chemicals that need proper treatment for example.
they can have their own tray, and quarantine it for 3 days so if we are on alternating weeks it can be reused, or wash your hands after you put it in the dishwasher. they should not be moving around the lab there is not room, trays should be put out and taken away after by technicians.

they can have their own tray, and quarantine it for 3 days so if we are on alternating weeks it can be reused, or wash your hands after you put it in the dishwasher. they should not be moving around the lab there is not room, trays should be put out and taken away after by technicians.
How would such a tray be collected by a technician, say, when the kids are now staying in the same class to do another subject?

Only way to collect and keep the 2m distance would be to do this when students are out of the room.

they wouldn't they have to move, labs have less space than classrooms as you are less free to move them around.

karen b

COMMITTEE
I don’t know yet how we are going to work things. I envisage something like Gratnells trays and or 2 litre ice cream tubs with individual equipment in them a bit like setting up for an ISA. After the experiment everyone will return their equipment to the tray and, possibly, put them onto a trolley at the front of the room. A teacher could if necessary then wheel this into the corridor and we could remove it from there.

I think the cleapss guide mentioned a large tub of Milton type solution for safety spectacles. I would use either a deep Gratnells tray or cheapo plastic buckets or washing up bowls.

Obviously this might not work for everyone, but I think we will do something very similar to this.

Afternoon all,

Science department is thinking of putting a disinfectant bath in each classroom, which essentially is a large container filled with disinfectant for students to place their used equipment in (if applicable).

Any ideas of what's on the market to purchase for this specific purpose?

Many thanks :)
Oh dear I do hope that you aren't filling it what I might think that other Members are filling it it with. Remember a Virus is not the same as a Bacterium. That is all I'm going to say.

I am not a Trays person Paul. As far as I am concerned Trays are Lower Schools work as are Trolleys. SORRY.

karen b

COMMITTEE

karen b

COMMITTEE
I am not a Trays person Paul. As far as I am concerned Trays are Lower Schools work as are Trolleys. SORRY.
Well I disagree with this. Having class sets of equipment stored on easily accessible trolleys all in colour coded trays helps students and staff.

Also trays and trolleys allow chemicals and other equipment to be easily and safely transported from prep room to laboratory.

Well I disagree with this. Having class sets of equipment stored on easily accessible trolleys all in colour coded trays helps students and staff.

Also trays and trolleys allow chemicals and other equipment to be easily and safely transported from prep room to laboratory.
Agree, i'd rather fill 10 trays in one place than walk around the lab 100 times putting beakers etc out.

Oh dear I do hope that you aren't filling it what I might think that other Members are filling it it with. Remember a Virus is not the same as a Bacterium. That is all I'm going to say.
I full well know this George. Also remember, that, from the ASE webinar, that nothing has actually been tested on COVID-19. That 99.99% claim type of thing. .

Indeed! I am working on perhaps having the students (one by one), put the trays on the side of the lab nearest the door, so trays can be put onto trolleys and transported. The baths would only be used on certain equipment. One must consider their chemical components and if it reacts with the chemical (that would usually just go down the sink) waste from some practicals.

Agree, i'd rather fill 10 trays in one place than walk around the lab 100 times putting beakers etc out.
Trays could also be stacked and quarantined somewhere in the prep room. Either way, the amount of practicals might not be normal any time soon...

Just read this. Good guide but it also highlights the need to be mindful of what chemical contaminants are on the equipment to avoid any reactions with the solution.
just spray i all with 70% alcohol cleaner, there's loads here for cleaning the computers.