Digestion practical

Hi there,

Regarding the digestion practical what can I use to simulate the intestines? (large and small)

Have been requested for either tights or clear plastic tube with holes on the bottom (this could be a big fizzy drink bottle I suppose)

Is there anything else? Do the suppliers provide with something that is easy washable as well?

Regards

Hi there,

Regarding the digestion practical what can I use to simulate the intestines? (large and small)

Have been requested for either tights or clear plastic tube with holes on the bottom (this could be a big fizzy drink bottle I suppose)

Is there anything else? Do the suppliers provide with something that is easy washable as well?

Regards
We just give them one leg cut off of a pair of opaque black tights, a beaker of milk, a brown bread 'sandwich', a banana and a piece of chocolate cake. All goes through as if the food was being eaten as a meal, bit by bit. Open end is the mouth, cut the other end off at the finish. It's very basic, but shows the poo very nicely at the end :D

Hi there,

Regards
Just buy some cheap stockings or tights and throw them away after.

We do the gums to bums activity that was from science works originally. Sort of a role play with 16 stations and someone gets to be the anus, rectum etc.:D

we use tights. I buy cheap nuggets and oven chips, cook them in the microwave and give them as a Happy Meal with cola

A plastic cup with the base cut out inserted into the top of the stocking makes it a bit easier to put the food into at the start. We use crackers and diluted orange juice, mostly. We can always tell when the demo starts, by the kids' reactions ;)

A plastic cup with the base cut out inserted into the top of the stocking makes it a bit easier to put the food into at the start. We use crackers and diluted orange juice, mostly. We can always tell when the demo starts, by the kids' reactions ;)
And us in the corridors know when it is a successful experiment. :mad:

We do the 'stocking' one, but if your teacher has got hold of the same DRAWING ( note not actual picture of equipment) that one of ours has then I can understand you asking.
Some bright spark made this up & we are expected to make it.
Bits of tubing clamped to balloons, gloves, tights, funnels, bags and more! Try attaching a stocking to a glove finger with a clamp, another finger to a large plastic bag & you'll see why we persuaded teachers to go back to tights.:p

We do the 'stocking' one, but if your teacher has got hold of the same DRAWING ( note not actual picture of equipment) that one of ours has then I can understand you asking.
Some bright spark made this up & we are expected to make it.
Bits of tubing clamped to balloons, gloves, tights, funnels, bags and more! Try attaching a stocking to a glove finger with a clamp, another finger to a large plastic bag & you'll see why we persuaded teachers to go back to tights.:p
We have this one and it was a faff to make up but it works well. It is only one for a demo though

We have this one and it was a faff to make up but it works well. It is only one for a demo though
FAFF?! Lol, we couldn't make it seal. How did you attach bag to glove etc? Not sure I want to know as everyone will ask for it!
PLus couldn't see how food would go through such small tubes.

We use tights for the small intestine and a tea towel for the large - it is good for giving the food a good squeeze to get the water out.

C

Cameron / SfS

Should I be of any aid to you, I have previously been able to supply schools and colleges with actual cleaned, food grade intestines.

C

Cameron / SfS

I would double check it is the instenstines first, as tripe is normally the stomach. I have never been to Rye Lane, quite a journey for me :)

we put a slice of brown bread into a pestle and mortar then into a plastic tube but the teacher then substitutes in a bowl of veg soup for the stomach contents...some of the kids are near to puking with the cold veg soup smell......and this then goes into a pop sock with the toe cut off as intestine. It's quite effective!

Shannon

Shannon
COMMITTEE
Just buy some cheap stockings or tights and throw them away after.

We do the gums to bums activity that was from science works originally. Sort of a role play with 16 stations and someone gets to be the anus, rectum etc.:D
Bet that creates lots of giggles!! ;);)