Corona Corona...

In a previous working life (related to the pharma industries and medicines research) we were warning (20 years ago) that

a) As a Society we are becoming more and more resistant to anti-biotics and anti-virals due to an over-reliance on these drugs and DEMANDING they be supplied via the NHS. In other words we are preventing the human race from evolving naturally as a species to deal with this sort of stuff; AND
b) We are TOO CLEAN (which impacts a)) driven by commercial marketing to over use disinfectants, hand gels, anti-bacterial soaps, cleaning all surfaces, etc. etc. in our homes and personal lives

We were predicting THEN that we were overdue a global pandemic of some form (Spanish flu after WW1 being the last really big one). Driven increasingly by the volume of travel (specifically flying) that rapidly spreads anything GLOBALLY.

Imagine if we'd only 'discovered' covid-19 AFTER the Olympics and all spectators, participants, athletes had contracted it and already flown home??

Who remembers the plagues in Europe these days and the impact they had...…..

Covid-19 is actually serious for those particularly susceptible......but for the majority of the population mainly a mild illness. BUT - this should be seen as a wake-up call before a truly big and nasty one arrives.....and it will.
I'm afraid that may not be true (mild illness for most). RNA viruses are susceptible to mutation and there are indications that this virus has already mutated from a less virulent form. In the States the virus which caused the Spanish Flu is currently being recreated. They discovered an Inuit woman in Alaska who died of it but whose body was preserved in Permafrost. The Genome was then sequenced and the 8 viral genes were individually and synthesised packed in 8 seperate plasmids. There is currently plans to recreate this flu by reconsituting the 8 viral genes. This flu killed 100 million people.:(:(:(

Last edited:
I'm afraid that may not be true (mild illness for most). RNA viruses are susceptible to mutation and there are indications that this virus has already mutated fro a less virulent form. In the States the virus which caused the Spanish Flu is currently being recreated. They discovered an Inuit woman in Alaska who died of it but whose bofy was preserved in Permafrost. The Genome was then sequenced and the 8 viral genes were individually and synthesised packed in 8 seperate plasmids. There is currently plans to recreate this flu by reconsituting the 8 viral genes. This flu killed 100 million people.:(:(:(
Yes - agreed. But I didn't really want to put that particular thing out there.....just make the general point we are 'overdue' and a lot of the impact will be our own fault by trying to 'manipulate' nature...….

I'm watching with interest. Technically as a person with both CP and Asthma, I'm at risk. So be it. I've got soap in the house, I've got 26 loo rolls that'll last me..oh, all year probably. Can't get bleach, so using cheap loo cleaner...it's got NaOH and Sodium Hypochlorite in, it'll do. Got my steam cleaner, got my pressure cooker, got cut-up flannels for noses and wipes, to go in the washer and thence to said makeshift autoclave. Bring it on.

Hand sanitiser, no. I have sinks and soap. I'm not stockpiling beyond the usual, living out in the middle of nowhere in winter. But then, I'm neither a sheep, nor a reactionist idiot.

I wipe my kitchen down nightly, just soap and water. Bathroom gets steamed and wiped similarly. Handrails and doors when I remember. Bleach is for loo pans, and when I've had to deep clean the bathroom because one of the kids has chunked in it (as one was all weekend).

If my card is punched, it's punched. Stay calm, keep plodding on. Everybody dies one day. My son is highly amused my my repro 19thC plague doctor steampunk mask. Love answering the door in it - if it scares people, they have no place in my home..:D

I'm watching with interest. Technically as a person with both CP and Asthma, I'm at risk. So be it. I've got soap in the house, I've got 26 loo rolls that'll last me..oh, all year probably. Can't get bleach, so using cheap loo cleaner...it's got NaOH and Sodium Hypochlorite in, it'll do. Got my steam cleaner, got my pressure cooker, got cut-up flannels for noses and wipes, to go in the washer and thence to said makeshift autoclave. Bring it on.

Hand sanitiser, no. I have sinks and soap. I'm not stockpiling beyond the usual, living out in the middle of nowhere in winter. But then, I'm neither a sheep, nor a reactionist idiot.

I wipe my kitchen down nightly, just soap and water. Bathroom gets steamed and wiped similarly. Handrails and doors when I remember. Bleach is for loo pans, and when I've had to deep clean the bathroom because one of the kids has chunked in it (as one was all weekend).

If my card is punched, it's punched. Stay calm, keep plodding on. Everybody dies one day. My son is highly amused my my repro 19thC plague doctor steampunk mask. Love answering the door in it - if it scares people, they have no place in my home..:D
Sounds like you're completely sorted Igor!:D

Love it Igor. :):)

I have asthma so I think I'm considered high risk, but if I get it, I get it. I'm just carrying on as normal and I see no reason to panic buy. I live on my own so I've got a freezer full of food as I batch cook, and I always have soap and bleach at home anyway.

The main thing I'm actually concerned about is that I'm due to be flying to Florida in a few weeks for the Easter holiday. We've had this book for ages and its a trip of a lifetime for us as we can't normally afford these sort of things. I know that's quite selfish and a first world problem, but at least I'm honest about that!

I have asthma so I think I'm considered high risk, but if I get it, I get it. I'm just carrying on as normal and I see no reason to panic buy. I live on my own so I've got a freezer full of food as I batch cook, and I always have soap and bleach at home anyway.

The main thing I'm actually concerned about is that I'm due to be flying to Florida in a few weeks for the Easter holiday. We've had this book for ages and its a trip of a lifetime for us as we can't normally afford these sort of things. I know that's quite selfish and a first world problem, but at least I'm honest about that!

At the moment there is no reason why your trip to Florida can't go on as normal. I've got a close eye on flights etc to the US because I want to book to go see my son but I'll just book as normal and make sure that my insurance covers all eventualities. If you're insured and the trip is cancelled by the airline or holiday company then you will at least get your money back. If you choose not to go then that's a different matter and you probably won't be refunded. Fingers crossed it will go ahead and you'll have an amazing time :)

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE

I have just googled the plague doctor mask - proper scary! Love it!!:D:D I may get one to scare the kids away from my prep room. :eek::D

I had to give a break down of the techs duties that will be affected as we loose techs to illness.

My current catch phrase is "I have been on too many benders in my left to be taken out by something named after a light beer!"
got one off currently. So I'm a lone tech this week.