Clinostat: purchasing for 1st time, advice needed :)

Discussion in 'Supporting Biology' started by Gadget, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Gadget

Gadget New to Teaching Environment

2. Gadget

Gadget New to Teaching Environment

3. Dod

Dod

Now I know what the thing at the back of a biology shelf is :)

Now if I was asked to make a clinostat I would use a gearbox or two that Physics has for solar buggys and mount on a bit of MDF with a disc to mount plant on.

4. karen b

karen b COMMITTEE

We have several of the SciChem ones. We bought another one last year so I guess the biologists are happy with them

5. We bought one like that in the picture from SciChem last summer and it stopped working during the first use. They were great and replaced it almost immediately, but the second one also stopped working. We think it was a motor issue as it stopped rotating and started clicking. We then bought one from a different company - basically we chose one that looked different, in case the same manufacturer made them all! I'm not sure where we bought our 3rd one from though, I can check once we are all back at school....... (It looked more like the one from rapidonline, but I don't think we bought it from there)
    SciChem were great at replacing the damaged one and giving credit for the other one and said they would look into the issue with the supplier. Hopefully they have sorted it now, and their customer service was great.

6. You could also get some wall garden plants which are genetically modified to grow sideways.

7. karen b

karen b COMMITTEE

In the foyer to the science building we have some sky planters (I think that’s the name) with a variety of gravitropic plants growing in them. It makes for an interesting display