CLEAPSS conflicting advice

Discussion in 'Supporting Chemistry' started by Ophelia, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Hi everyone. I’m a new technician and have been following the guidelines on the hazcards for disposing of waste etc. But when I phoned CLEAPSS they said something different to what’s on the hazcard for that chemical. Has anyone else experienced this? I thought the guidance on the hazcards is an absolute must.

2. What chemical and what specifically did they say different to the card?

Ophelia likes this.
  3. How old are your hazcards?
    Some were updated in 2018

Ophelia likes this.
  4. I’m in the middle of printing out the most recent versions from the website, so they will be up to date.

The chemicals are organics - cyclohexane and cyclohexane I think. Everything I’ve read says to collect for disposal or evaporate small amounts in a fume cupboard, this is what they did in my old place and teachers were told never wash them down the sink. Here they put them down the sink and run the tap for a while, apparently CLEAPSS say this is okay if it’s less than 10 ml.

5. That's nice to know, saves me a whole bottle of waste :D

The latest hazcard says store it so that's what I will do.

Ophelia likes this.
  6. I remember the thing about down the sink due to small volumes being on old versions of the Hazcard but assumed that practise had to stop when it updated...

Ophelia likes this.
  7. Yes, there was something on the old version about washing it down using a dispersing agent. I really don’t understand why the people on the phone are contradicting what’s on the hazcard.

8. Dealing with waste is very difficult and each scenario might be different. Keeping waste especially highly flammable organics over long periods of time has known to cause problems. In Universities and Industry, waste is removed at almost monthly intervals. In school, I have seen organic waste 5 or more years old. As different organics are added, who knows what is happening during the storage of waste. And then there is the person who sees the word waste because half the label has worn off and puts nitric acid in and “BOOM”. It has happened and more than once.

If you ae getting rid of cyclohexane much depends on how much there is. If there is 10 ml only per year, you can burn it off in small volumes in the ducted fc. (A reason to like ducted fcs). Code W6.

If you feel an answer is in conflict, then phone again. The detergent method is not now considered useful especially for the foul smelling cyclohexene.

The advice we get is from the Environmental Agency, waste removers, chemical expertise and your experiences. A conflict of a difficult scenario will be discussed at our regular monthly meetings.

Torylou, JOJO, Dave T and 4 others like this.
  9. Thank you, it’s definitely something that needs to be looked at here. We haven’t really agreed on a solution yet.

10. Not on the new versions. You must make sure you are looking at the most recent Hazcards, Ophelia. I would suggest that there is a given date each month for checking what has changed. Look at the What's New section. I try to do it on the 1st of every month, printing off any relevant changes for our school. I appreciate from your other posts, that you may have a team who are resistant to change, but if you can find a diplomatic way of letting them know the advice has changed :)D) then you will save yourself a lot of grief!

Ophelia likes this.
  11. The difficulty is that the senior tech supposedly spoke to 2 people at CLEAPSS who said we can put it down the drain. The HoD has asked me to call them again so I will try to get a definitive answer from them.

12. FYI I've had contacted them before and @Bob Worley is CLEAPSS Chemistry guy...

Ophelia likes this.
  13. I’ve only contacted them once and was put through to someone called Magda.

14. Kay

Kay

If you ask for chemistry you often get Magda now.
    Is rare you get the celebs unless you ask for them by name.
    I say celebs as they are better than your TOWIE types.
    I get all star struck when I talk to Bob or Joanna and back in the day John Tranter.

Torylou likes this.
  15. He worked here back in the day, pre me though but most of my slides have his name on them.

Kay likes this.
  16. Kay

Kay

That's cool. Can you tell us where here is?
    Does he have a blue plaque on the preproom door?

17. No, I believe he was a teacher here.

18. Magda is talking to all of us with blue plaques and is very good. Her paper chromatogrphy of indicators is the best paper chromatography I have seen.

GeorgetheScienceTech likes this.
  19. karen b

karen b COMMITTEE

Is that the new one to replace food colourings? It works really well, I persuaded most of our teachers to swap to this method

20. Kay

Kay

She's lovely.
    Always happy to deal with my silly questions.
    She'll be a celeb too soon.
    One question though Sir Bob, how does she cope with working with all our heros?