Chromatography of chlorphyll

Discussion in 'Supporting Biology' started by Jimbob1988, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Afternoon all,

So I am working on the A level practical of using chromatography on chlorophyll, in which one gets some leaves, chops them up, grinds them and places the green solution on a spot on the paper.

I end up getting a nice spot in which you can see other colours, but on videos I am seeing clear distinct bands. I am wondering if it could simply be a case of halving the width of my chromatography paper to help get those nice bands?

Many thanks :)

2. what chromatography solvent are you using?

Snailo likes this.
  3. What running solvent are you using? For A-Level I now use TLC plates and get really good bands compared to using paper. SAPS have a really good method on their website.

Jade likes this.
  4. If you use a mobile Phase of Petroleum Ether:Chloroform Propanone in the ratio (3:1:1) and TLC plates you will get consistent results like these. You should only be getting bands unless you have not spotted enough extract. Hope this helps.:);)
    PLANT PIGMENTCOLLAGE.png plant 10.png

5. Propanone only

6. This looks awesome!

Could I be cheeky and ask to print this off for the teachers? When my colleague did the experiment with a larger blob it worked better. I would try it again myself but it seems I am doing teachers tasks of photocopying - how fun!

GeorgetheScienceTech likes this.
  7. Of course you can print it off Jimbob - many of the Members have already done so and I suspect many of the new future Members will do so too. I'm sure that you will agree it's awesome. The leaves used was actually Dogwood and of course it is Time Lapse Photography.:D:D

8. There's your trouble Jimbob!:D

9. The CLEAPSS solvent works quite as well, as I can't get chloroform for school use.

10. My latest attempt Jimbob.:);)
    11-9-19.png