Budding Yeast under the microscope

This is the first time I have done this practical and I can see "snowmen" if I leave yeast in 10% sugar solution over night at 30°C, which I believe is what I am meant to see. My questions are - does this work quicker? I get frothing within minutes - should I therefore be able to see budding as well? Also, is it possible to make up a slide and watch the yeast cell bud under the microscope? Or does it not work if you dilute it too much and leave it on a microscope slide at room temperature.
I am using quick yeast for making bread which is still in date, but has been opened for a couple of months (not sure if any of this makes a difference).

The bubbling/frothing you see at first is the yeast metabolising the substrate to produce CO2 (and ethanol) - it's not an indication of reproduction of the yeast cells. There will be a 'lag' time before the yeast cells begin to divide - how long this takes depends on the incubating media and conditions, but 2hours or so is not unusual even in yeast-specific growth media. You'd possibly be able to see cells beginning to bud over a period of time in a cavity slide, but as mentioned above - it takes time!
Hope that helps!

If you put the slide in a petri dish, with a watchglass of water beside it, then rest the petri lid on, that should stop it drying out too quickly, if your prep room is over-warm.