ASE membership / registered technician status

Discussion in 'Science Technicians - General Discussion' started by Snailo, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Depends how much we could charge. Would be a nice little earner potentially....

Luke H likes this.
  2. To register as RSciTech you would have to first join a professional body. Being a member of one of these alone should constitute being a professional for counter-signing passport forms.

Luke H likes this.
  3. As you can see there is no technician rate in the fees structure

4. Are you meaning with ASE? It seems you either join as a teacher, scientist or technician and different rates apply.

5. No, I said IoP. I am already a technician member of the ASE, my comment was about the membership fee for the IoP.

However now I have the concession rate figures I might cancel SE membership and join the IoP which is cheaper.

6. Ah, I see - crossed wires! Doesn't take much to confuse me!

7. I have countersigned passports without problems. The friend that asked me to do it said that having a degree counted

8. Yes if you are a Line Manager. Happy New year Luke.:);)

Luke H likes this.
  9. I'm afraid that in reality having a degree does not count Karen. :);)

10. Very Silly question. What do you get for the £30-40 a year membership at IoP or RSC?

11. My husband just had to renew his and all it asked for was a person of good standing in the community (unhelpfully vague), we got a friend to counter sign who is an engineer for northern powergrid and that was accepted. So definitely not as strict as it used to be.

12. They are also expected to work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession to act as a counter signatory. It turns out that engineer (with professional qualifications) is one such profession so your friend would have qualified on this basis I'd expect.

The full list is on their website: https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications/accepted-occupations-for-countersignatories

Jade likes this.
  13. I'm not sure about the IoP, perhaps one of the physicists may be able to help with that.

An RSC membership generally comes with a monthly magazine, support in gaining registered status, access to interest groups, networking opportunities and events organised by local sections, career support services, publishing resources like access to their virtual library etc. The specific benefits you get (and unfortunately the price!) depend a little on which category you are applying to. The full list of benefits for each membership category is on the RSC website here:
    http://www.rsc.org/membership-and-community/join/new-membership-benefits/#memberbenefits-affiliate

14. No, it is says

"Your countersignatory must either: (my emphasis)

• work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession
    • be ‘a person of good standing in their community’"

I think that implies professional or 'a person of good standing in their community', not both.

Similar to the IoP (at least it was like that when I was a member back in the 90s).

Jade likes this.
  15. Ah, you are absolutely right, I missed that distinction when I read it. Obviously they've decided that that long list of individuals is too restrictive. If only we could now work out how they define 'a person of good standing in their community'...

Jade likes this.
  16. Are you joining as an associate member? Otherwise it looks to be the same price overall to me (unless I've missed something). I am trying to decide between the IoP and the ASE

17. I finally have support from the headteacher and now the HoD so will be on with joining the ASE as well as applying for registered status thanks to the info and support from this thread. Now I just need to find the time.

GeorgetheScienceTech and Steve like this.
  18. Which one are you applying for Luke - RSci or RSciTech?;)

19. My link higher up the thread didn't seem to make it, but here is a cut and paste of the IoP fee structure

Membership Fees 2017
    Grade Fee Concession*
    Fellow £144 £43
    Member £115 £35
    Associate Member £104 £31
    Undergraduate, Trainee and Apprentice £15
    *Earnings less than £19,000 - includes retired and postgraduate members.

As you can see, a technician's pay would qualify for the concessionary rate. It then works out less than ASE. A Senior Tech would not get the concession. I don't have a Physics Degree (or any other) so would only be able to join as an associate.

karen b likes this.
  20. As much as I'd like to go Rsci it's just that little more expensive initially and don't feel that I can go asking for the extra cash.

RSci is a little less long winded than RSciTech when using it after your name but any professional recognition is better than none.

There's the other question for people, do any of you actually use it after your name, say on emails etc?