AQA Plant Responses RP

Techitude

COMMITTEE
Does anyone have any good tips and tricks for getting this practical to work well.

What seeds do you use? How long before lesson do you germinate them? etc etc?

This was previously done as theory only but now they want to do it properly and I want to make sure it works well for them.

I find that if you just use cotton wool to hold the water it dries out before the seedlings get to any height.

Use mustard or cress and buy some capillary matting from the garden centre cut it into circles to fit inside the petri dishes - use about three layers and completely soak it spread your seeds out and leave the lids on until they start to germinate then take off lids and water every day - should get excellent results in 4-5 days. Make sure that no one turns the dishes round or moves them once they have germinated.

Techitude

COMMITTEE
Thanks.
I've read through our required practical lab book and the AQA required practical specification but cant find anywhere were it says actually how long you have to leave them for and at what stage you put the little 'caps' on them.
I don't suppose you have a procedure do you?

Techitude

COMMITTEE
This is all it says in the lab book

[IMAGE REMOVED BY MODERATOR - DO NOT POST COPYRIGHT IMAGES, ESPECIALLY FROM BEHIND EXAM BOARD PAYWALLS!]

@Techitude

Last edited by a moderator:
We do Edexcel so don't do this practical - we use a similar method though so the capillary matting will work better than cotton wool. Your instruction sheet says leave for a few days. I would say the caps go on as soon as you have a sprout pointing up say about 0.5cm long - sooner the better so the tip is not effected by the light. The whole point is to show that the tip is the sensitive part as far as phototropism is concerned so you need to cap it as soon as you can get a cap to stay on.
upload_2019-9-25_14-44-7.jpg

I use radish seeds - they always grow well. I start them off 3-4 days before they are needed. If it's a required practical though how have they previously done it as a theory lesson? I recently had this issue with someone wanting to do a pondweed practical by showing it as an online clip. Now we all know that pondweed is notoriously a pain in the ass but despite that, the pupils still have to actually carry out the practical. Surely doing it as a theory or online clip defeats the idea of it being a requirement.

We have trouble with mustard & cress too. Is something going on with these in recent years?! We used to just sprinkle them on wet paper towels in petri dishes & get tons of the stuff. Now a week & barely anything. Puzzled.

Does anyone have any good tips and tricks for getting this practical to work well.

What seeds do you use? How long before lesson do you germinate them? etc etc?

This was previously done as theory only but now they want to do it properly and I want to make sure it works well for them.
Did with mustard seeds last year and pretty good results.

Techitude

COMMITTEE
This is all it says in the lab book
[IMAGE REMOVED BY MODERATOR - DO NOT POST COPYRIGHT IMAGES, ESPECIALLY FROM BEHIND EXAM BOARD PAYWALLS!]
@Techitude
Apologies @prepAdmin . But what is an 'exam board paywall'?
EDIT - never mind, I googled it. I didnt think of that when I posted it sorry (although this book is available to purchase by the public if that makes any difference)

Last edited:

prepAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
COMMITTEE
Apologies @prepAdmin . But what is an 'exam board paywall'?
EDIT - never mind, I googled it. I didnt think of that when I posted it sorry (although this book is available to purchase by the public if that makes any difference)
No problem. There have been instances in the past where exam boards have threatened legal proceedings if content is not immediately removed so we have to be very careful what content we host, even if we aren't the ones uploading it.

Techitude

COMMITTEE
completely soak it spread your seeds out and leave the lids on until they start to germinate then take off lids and water every day - should get excellent results in 4-5 days. Make sure that no one turns the dishes round or moves them once they have germinated.
When you say 4-5 days is that results for the practical once you start with ready grown seedlings or how long it takes the seedlings to germinate?
I put some mustard seeds in on Friday morning and have come in to no signs of any germination today - information online about how long they take to germinate are conflicting.

When you say 4-5 days is that results for the practical once you start with ready grown seedlings or how long it takes the seedlings to germinate?
I put some mustard seeds in on Friday morning and have come in to no signs of any germination today - information online about how long they take to germinate are conflicting.
They should have germinated by now - how old is the seed? What temperature is the place where you put them? - using incubator set at 25 degrees should germinate in 3-4 days when hydrated.

Techitude

COMMITTEE
They should have germinated by now - how old is the seed? What temperature is the place where you put them? - using incubator set at 25 degrees should germinate in 3-4 days when hydrated.
Seed was fresh last year. Temp was about 21C. I've popped them in the incubator now to warm them up a bit. I have terrible luck with seeds!