Another "Does anyone do this" question....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Technician Q, Oct 10, 2019 at 8:18 AM.

1. Who else gets irrationally annoyed if equipment won't fit nicely into the storage? We have cellpacks that don't quite fit in a Gratnell and the same with the rheostats and it offends my sense of order! :D

2. That's moderately annoying but there are far, far worse issues about storage - that I won't go into on a public forum.

3. Yes, I find this really annoying.
    I "only do" physics, I've spent 20 odd years getting my storage organised.
    My rheostats are quite old, 4 in a deep tray plus one inverted works well.
    Cells and bulbs are annoying as are Electroscopes (two different sizes)
    Resistors are mounted on plastic boxes of differing sizes, which I can just about cope with, but one day.......
    Classes are usually 22 students (11sets, plus 1 spare = 12) but I have one teacher who insists I give her 15sets.....
    Bosses and clamps are 15 to a tray. 250ml Beakers 15 to a tray. 4mm leads are 8 to a block 14 blocks to a tray.
    Mutimeters are 20 to a tray.

Arrrggghhhhh Kill me NOW.

4. I still haven't found half our stuff as it's ferreted away in nooks and crannies.

5. Ooh lucky you Q. You could find all sorts of treasures!!! I spent 2 years finding 'new' (old) stuff, it was like Christmas everyday. Even now, occasionally we'll open a drawer and say 'what the heck is this?'.....

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 12:55 PM
    stelden, Colly and KeithD like this.
  6. I find Gratnells annoying, far too small, give me a big red tray any day.

7. Techitude

Techitude COMMITTEE

Yes I hate it. I'm quite a neat freak at work and it irks me enormously when things refuse to fit in a tray or stack neatly.
    I've recently bought some new ammeters and voltmeters and specifically chose the ones I knew fit 10 flush in a gratnell

8. Techitude

Techitude COMMITTEE

The previous techs here had squirreled stuff away in almost EVERY cupboard in all 10 labs. When I started I spent several weeks discovering hidden treasures and well as lots of hidden trash!

Helen J likes this.
  9. Same here. Our newish HoD sometimes says, "have we got a so and so, doobery whatsit..?"
    and I say: "Probably, what does it look like?"
    I can usually find something based on the description. "So that's what that is.."
    :)

hadley and Technician Q like this.
  10. Carol Taylor

Carol Taylor Footsore

I asked my assistant (in the old days when I had one) to list the items in certain cupboards for me to enter into a spreadsheet; one of the items was jam jars, the other pendulum(s). I knew that was not right so went to look, it was gas jars and deflagrating spoons.

lizfalk, stelden, EmilyN and 3 others like this.
  11. I've already managed to find stuff by description. Do they learn the term "doobery whatsit" on HoD training do you think?

KeithD likes this.
  12. Haha I've misidentified stuff too and been put right!

13. Dread to think how old some of the stuff in cupboards prefixed with "Old" might be here (and begs the question why it's been kept)

14. karen b

karen b COMMITTEE

Because you never know when they update the curriculum what they will drag back into it.

Last summer I dismantled some equipment that hadn't been used in the 7 years I have been here. A new teacher asked for something very similar yesterday.

15. About 3 years ago, my HoD said he wished we had a demo for continuous flow calorimetery,
    I said "No problem, there is one in the attic, hasnt been used in 25 years but I'm sure I can get it working"....
    Why I make work for myself I'll never understand...
    T

Technician Q likes this.
  16. I'm exactly the same! Been here since April and still come across bits like "so that's what that is", "thats where the odd thing is!"
    I'm sure it'll stay the same for the next year or so :D