Amoeba and Euglena - h-e-e-e-elp.

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
We've just signed up to Activate on Kerboodle :eek: and having a quick scan of the all the new stuff I'm expected to produce from my Magician's hat:oops:, amoeba and euglena appear on the list. Do any of you lovely folks know where I can source these from and what on earth do I do with 'em when they arrive?:confused:

Thanks in advance. :)

Carol Taylor

Footsore
We've just signed up to Activate on Kerboodle :eek: and having a quick scan of the all the new stuff I'm expected to produce from my Magician's hat:oops:, amoeba and euglena appear on the list. Do any of you lovely folks know where I can source these from and what on earth do I do with 'em when they arrive?:confused:

I just say that we don't have any, the teachers are usually relieved.

Manky greenwater ponds. Or water butts, I find. I go raiding the old pond at our old site, demolished 5 years ago.

Seems to work. Currently failing to keep daphnia alive for very long, sourced from a fish centre...heh.

Blades biological would probably be your best bet, as they sell live protozoa. Give tehm a ring, their customer service is fab. I am sure they would be able to answer any questions you have.
http://www.blades-bio.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=LZA030
http://www.blades-bio.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=LZA010

They say they only live a week..... there is a long winded way of sub-culturing them. From experience, the euglena was a far easier method than the amoeba......

We use Activate too.

Rather than buy in cultures, I prepare an 'infusoria' of unicellular organisms from dried grass/hay and aquarium/pond/rain water. Takes about 3 days to get going. There's usually lots to look at, including some very motile Paramecium sp.

I get the grass from when the groundsman is doing the field, dry it out & keep it in a box for use when required.

Hi all,

I too have just been asked to find some euglena for a year 7 lesson on cells etc. I have purchased some from Blades biologicals. Could I ask your help with what I do with them, and any H and S guidance for use, and also disposal. I am totally new to this! Many thanks.

We have a few ( very few) pre-prepped slides that were part of a histology range we bought in, sometimes teachers happy with them. Have also asked and got some 'pondlife' from our local aquaria shop from manky sides of their tanks.. managed very well kept in our old fish tank. Had costed buying fresh from Timstar or Philip Harris (Timstar cheaper, Philip Harris better range), but if our photosynthesis experiments are anything to go by, the teachers may not co-ordinate their lessons well enough for one stock to cover all groups. Good luck with whatever route you go to....

Thank you Claire, I did call blades customer services and they were very helpful. I will most likely tip them into our pond afterwards. I will also look into pre-prepared slides, that may be a cheaper route for long term curriculum.

We just use the preprepared slides of amoebae and eugena. If they want to view pondlife we get some out of our pond and set them up inj petri dishes on binocular microscopes so the pupils don't handle the water directly.

This is puzzling me too. Also, it says once we do manage to find them, we have to put them in a suspension of methyl cellulose (used in eye drops and laxatives) Our pond has been filled in so goodness knows what I'm going to do.

This is puzzling me too. Also, it says once we do manage to find them, we have to put them in a suspension of methyl cellulose (used in eye drops and laxatives) Our pond has been filled in so goodness knows what I'm going to do.
See my above post - I use dried grass/hay. Stick a handful in some water and leave at room temp. It takes about 3 days to produce a healthy population of Protozoa. I collect grass cuttings from when the grounds/school field are cut, dry them out & then keep them in a box - they'll last forever! So no need to buy anything in!

The methyl cellulose is just wallpaper paste (use school supply stuff, without any nasty additives) and it's purpose is just to slow the critters down so they can be observed more easily.