AEA Radcount

Discussion in 'Supporting Physics' started by Tee, May 1, 2019.

1. Tee

Tee

Anyone got one of these, and know how to get it up and running?

Got three all reading zero next to a alpha source.

IMG_7766.JPG

2. Nick Mitchener

Nick Mitchener COMMITTEE

never seen one, but if it doesn't manage to find any counts for background it isn't going to be much use.

3. Tee

Tee

My thoughts exactly, though we have three but no instructions. Thought i was missing a trick!

4. I've got a couple.
    Pressing START/STOP should make a colon flash in between the first two digits and the second two.
    It should also start counting detected events.
    SPKR ON/OFF turns an annoying squeek on or off for each detected event.
    MAN/AUTO Starts an automatic count over a preset time (I've never used it but think about 100seconds)
    I dont think its much use for alpha as the "window" is quite recessed.
    I can scan the manual if you need it.

T

5. Tee

Tee

The manual would be great, can get it to count etc but obviously not picking anything up with a alpha source so i'll try with beta.

Wanted to use it for a background count.

6. It should do background. mine does.
    Maybe the pokey finger brigade have been at it.

Andrew Goloskof likes this.
  7. Looks like there's a cover missing from the sensor.

8. We have one of these and it works fine for background, the sensor doesn't look like it's missing the cover to me.

Plug in, switch on. Press Start. Switch 'Spkr On' if you like beeps. (Who doesn't like beeps?)

We use it to beep in the background whilst the teacher talks about background radiation.
    We also get the kids to go to different parts of the school, rub balloons and leave them for a few minutes and bring them back, to see which parts of the school have the most background radiation. It's a lot easier to set up than the usual counter and GM tube and is designed to be portable if needs be.

I also have the manual but it has quite a lot of pages for scanning with not a great deal of info. Tony might be right, the pokey finger brigade might have been at it.
    Radcount.jpg

Tee likes this.
  9. What's the ring in the moulding for?

10. So that it can lock into the main body for storage, when not in its carry case..

Radcount 2.jpg

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  11. Storing the probe when not in the pretty foam box.

12. Thanks. Never seen one before.

13. SCAN0001.JPG SCAN0002.JPG SCAN0003.JPG SCAN0004.JPG SCAN0005.JPG SCAN0006.JPG SCAN0007.JPG SCAN0008.JPG

IfieldCC, Tee and KeithD like this.
  14. Tee

Tee

@Tonytech much appreciated, i'll have a play about later and see what i can get.

15. That's strange - I've just brought one of these back to life! It's been sitting on a shelf since I started here 3 years ago (and long before) - I finally got round to taking a look, and in my search for info, found this thread.

Our's was dead, probe wise. The probe rattled when shaken, so I assumed there was internal damage to the GM tube (although the window looked to have escaped the "pokey finger brigade"!) On carefully breaking open the probe case (it's glued together VERY well!), I found it was the lead causing a dead short. On jerry-rigging a replacement lead directly onto the GM tube, I found that also to be faulty, giving huge jumps in count.

Next I tried hooking up a brand new, ex MOD tube that we found on e-Bay, using a BNC lead to croc clips. Even though the tube has a rated operating voltage of 510V (most are usually 400V) this works fantastically well! It will easily detect Alpha, Beta and Gamma. The tube was made by Centronic and has a glass body with a rubber casing and end cap. It's not the usual flat mica window type, but has an incredibly delicate looking "test tube end" window (presuambly mica, or something equally radio-transparent?)

With a BNC lead now replacing the original lead in one of our old Panax GM tube holders, our Radcount is back in action!

We just purchased a second tube - and there's one left!

PS: The tube inside the Radcount probe is a Phillips ZP1400 - these can also still be found on e-Bay with prices from £25ish to over £150.
    PPS: The Technical Specification and User Guide also lists a second, Gamma probe that contains a ZP1321 (presumably Phillips)

Photos to follow....

16. Carol Taylor

Carol Taylor Footsore

Wow, my husband worked for AEA, it no longer exists.

17. I was told on a CLEAPSS Radiation course to no longer use these as they are not very reliant! That was a couple of years ago.

18. Radcounts are fine for general indication of radioactivity, but not for any of the leak or contamination testing due to the small window size.