Accepting new users to a Group

Discussion in 'Groups Section Tutorials' started by prepAdmin, Feb 10, 2017.

1. prepAdmin

prepAdmin Administrator Staff Member Site Admin

If you are Group creator, it is your job to accept any members who wish to join your Group.
    Only once a member has been accepted can they view the content in a closed Group.
    As the Group owner, you should receive a notification any time a user requests to join the group. Clicking on the notification will take you to the 'Members' section you can see here...
    XX1.png

Here you will be able to accept a new member or decline the membership.
    Once your Group has several members, the 'Members' page should look like this....

xxx3.png
    By clicking on a Group member, you have the option to:
    • Ban User - this should only be used where someone has gained access to the group in order to spam or abuse members.
    • Remove User - this should be used to remove a user who you wish to be part of the group no longer. Members have the option to leave a group at any time so this should only be used as a last resort.
    • Promote - This setting is used to promote any member of the Group to the same status as Group creator. This gives another chosen member rights and permissions which they can used to administer and moderate the Group. This should only be used to appoint a joint Group owner or deputy Group owner.
    xxx4.png
    To promote a member to Group administrator status, tick the 'Member' box. All other members will be part of the 'teams_member_role_id_member' group who have posting access but very limited moderating/administrator access.

Please only promote members you wish to have Administrator access to the group as they will have the ability to change Group settings which will affect other members.
    Because of this, we prefer Groups to have ONE dedicated owner/administrator. This by default is the person who created the Group initially.

2. Hi, I created the group, South Wales Technicians" last year.
    I am being made redundant at the end of term so need to promote someone to admin status. If no one wants it, what do I do. There is not a lot of activity in the group.

3. prepAdmin

I'm afraid if no-one can take on the role of moderator then the Group will close. Are any members of the Group willing to take on the role?
    If you do find someone, please email us at admin@preproom.org with their details and we can guide you through the process of changing the moderator.

4. Thank you, I will let you know soon.

prepAdmin likes this.
  5. Hi, I'm sorry but no one appears to want to take over the group, so looks like you'll have to close it. Sorry.

6. prepAdmin

That's a shame. I'll leave it open for the time being and see if anyone wants to become moderator in the new year. It can remain open for a while but new members won't be accepted as there will be no-one to approve them.
    Thanks for being moderator and good luck in the future - you're always welcome back!

Stephen Powell likes this.