About to have a conversation with the Principal...

Evening all,

Some interesting development ahead.

I don't think she knows that I was appointed (through an agency) as a trainee tech and I am now finding I am doing senior tasks (not agreed with my agency of whom i've been with for over a year - I stated I was looking for an entry level position!). Don't even think she was informed of the accident I was involved in last Summer due to my other senior tech which was forced to leave.

I don't think she realises what I have been doing (work set by my HoD related to teacher type stuff and practicals).

She asked information about why I was attending the STEM webinar/ASE webinars..and I clearly stated that I needed information as there was no senior science tech (or other tech) to guide me with what stuff I needed to be doing (I consult CLEAPSS stuff a lot now from recommendations of members).

This conversation will determine my intentions come September! She is now my boss after her SLT deputy left a few months ago.

Good luck - let us know what happened
Will do. I am extremely unhappy that I have to justify going to webinars which impart information to my role, especially as now I am on my own and I am doing senior stuff with no previous of being a tech apart from the year I have had as an entry level tech with my agency.

Will do. I am extremely unhappy that I have to justify going to webinars which impart information to my role, especially as now I am on my own and I am doing senior stuff with no previous of being a tech apart from the year I have had as an entry level tech with my agency.
I'm afraid Jimbob that no amount of Webinars can provide you with the experience of actually performing the task. Why don't you suggest to your Head of Department that they send you on a Course? I don't mean to be patronising (as I seem to have gained a reputation from some Members in this Forum when I speak of steep learning curves). These curves exist for a reason. Best wishes and I look forward to hearing the outcomes of your meeting. We have mentored many Technicians here with common Techniques required for level 3 courses as well as more advanced techniques not currently used in schools but may be shortly entering the Tech level curriculum.

I'm afraid Jimbob that no amount of Webinars can provide you with the experience of actually performing the task. Why don't you suggest to your Head of Department that they send you on a Course? I don't mean to be patronising (as I seem to have gained a reputation from some Members in this Forum when I speak of steep learning curves). These curves exist for a reason. Best wishes and I look forward to hearing the outcomes of your meeting. We have mentored many Technicians here with common Techniques required for level 3 courses as well as more advanced techniques not currently used in schools but may be shortly entering the Tech level curriculum.
George this wasn't a case for replacing experience with webinars. The same thing is using the making mistakes as the only way to learn argument. Imagine making a mistake with Bromine..would you get a chance to make it again? The point I'm making here is I ask questions that I need to ask because I have encountered something during my work. Webinars are great opportunities for this.

George this wasn't a case for replacing experience with webinars. The same thing is using the making mistakes as the only way to learn argument. Imagine making a mistake with Bromine..would you get a chance to make it again? The point I'm making here is I ask questions that I need to ask because I have encountered something during my work. Webinars are great opportunities for this.
I get your point Jimbob. How did the meeting go?

Good luck!! It will be interesting to see how the meeting goes for you. I'm a lone Technician doing the work of a senior ( except supervising other technicians ) but on a basic pay of a science technician, they really have you over a barrel which makes you feel very unappreciated